Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sand blasting wheel rim beading

Sand blasting wheel rim beading

Hi chaps,
    Anyone know how easy it is to sand blast wheel rim beading to clean up some corrosion, or if anyone knows someone to it around Peterborough? My X trail fronts keep going down and the garage reckon it's the beading not sealing coz I take it off road a bit. I spose it's my fault for thinking a 4x4 can actually go off tarmac!!

I have a blast gun and media that I bought for a beetle resto that never got off the ground so I've never done it!

Cheers
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

PM James at jager he do's that sort of thing on all types of parts not just guns.

Stratts, its easy as long as the kit is good enough & the blast medium is correct or suitable, just take it slow and remove a little at a time, its a patience thing..remember to wear the protective eye & face gloves etc and collect the bead or sand as it can in some instances be used again to save a few quid, alternatively get the wire brush and file out to clean the wheels

atb

Cheers chaps gonna give James a call

why would it need blasting?

a decent wire wheel will remove enough corrosion to refinish
    if your tyre fitters are not using a liquid sealant to counteract any imperfections then take your wheels elsewhere.

get the tyre fitter to spin the wheel on the fitting machine and take the wire wheel to the rim at the same time.
    Mine does that as a matter of course on corroded wheels and uses liquid silicon on anything that doesn't look like it will seal

Cheers will talk to them again.

Has anyone had issues with cheaper tyres not sealing properly? These are Event tyres and have worn well but it may be the tryes themselves?

unlikely unless the rubber is very hard or poorly structured and not round

It depends how bad the corrosion is I'd say. If the rim is very pitted then tubeless tyres are never going to seal properly unless you can get them smooth. Blasting can actually end up making the pitting worse because it will remove all the rust to reveal the holes!

Wire brush the rims then refit the tyres using bead sealing compound job done. Im supprized that your garage did not suggest that to you.
    If the rims are badly pitted I would sugest looking for some new wheels or fit tubes.
    ATB Al

My old BMW motorcycle started loosing pressure. I deal with a company that do a polymer or resin impregnation on aluminium castings. Shot blasted, pressure impregnated and re paint about 60 a wheel. Been sound as a pound since. Not dropped pressure in over a year. Let me know if you want their details.
    Mark