Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High Leg Stalking Boots

High Leg Stalking Boots

Hi All - I know this has been done to death, but just in case anything has changed....

I have decided finally to buy a pair for the hills. Will only come out half a dozen times a year if that, but they need to work properly and last a few years.

Several times hind stalking I've had problems with getting wet feet (Hunter low leg walking boots), slipping all over the shop on snow and generally going a over t (both Hunter walking boots and wellies). Hunter only because i've been persuaded by the john Norris prices on occassions. they are fine for my nromal use, but hopeless when a bit of extra firepower is needed.

So, what should I be getting? absolute max 250, but i've read a lot on hear about British army boots being pretty good and a lot cheaper - obviously the less I spend, the more i can stalk, so ideas welcomed.

And finally if anyone has anything lying around in size 11 that would fit the bill and they want to sell, let me know.

Thaks

ES.

I recently bought a pair of said army boots (extreme cold weather boots, so called). Honest appraisal, for the money (60 posted) really not bad at all, they are a bit 'firmer' out of the box and are still being broken in, but I have only worn them on a few occasions and I'm yet to buy a decent pair of insoles which I'm sure will transform them.
    They are goretex, and have vibram soles, and I guess you could argue that if they are good enough for our Royal Marines, they should be ok for our needs....
    My meindls are more comfortable, but if as you say they will get only a couple of uses a year, I would struggle to justify 250 on Dovre or similar when this is an alternative. They are in different leagues (not least in price) but how much of that is down to the name on the label?
    I'm certainly going to get some use out of these before I think about spending those prices again, to be honest, if they only last a season, at 60 you can just replace! I've lost count of the times I've been disappointed by top price branded items, so figured these would be worth a punt.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Thanks Deerstalker

Similar view as me actually - just looked at some on the British military surplus website. See the new extreme cold weathers are 65, and the Haix 'Brown'(!) and Altberg defender are 50 as grade 1s.

Might try the Haix unless anyone says the extreme cold weathers are as good/no worse.

Glad i stopped and thought about it, like you say cant really go far wrong at the price as long as they do the job properly for a while.

Will

I use lundhag boots , my current pair are on there sixth season and they are so good I have another pair in the cupboard in case I cant get another pair when these are worn out!
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

When I looked, the Haix and Altberg ones weren't waterproof.....that was my only reason for the ones I went for as they were goretex....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Altberg stark extreme .
    very good 210 when I got mine from the factory
    N

If only I'd known they did these in a 12....

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post

i only wear those ones at the weekend Bewsher

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    When I looked, the Haix and Altberg ones weren't waterproof.....that was my only reason for the ones I went for as they were goretex....
    Good intel thanks DS. I am guessing they can be waterproofed with leather treatment etc, but just aren't lined?