Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Changing a barrel

  1. #1

    Changing a barrel

    Question:

    I want to switch the 1:12 .223 barrel I have for a 1:9.

    The barrel I have has no markings or serial number on it. If that barrel is irretrievably destroyed (angle grinder to the chamber, cut up etc) before I chamber its replacement then has the law been broken? Home office guidance is clear about component parts (you would need a variation to acquire a chambered barrel before switching), however if an RFD undertake this then no variation is required. Presumably this covers the situation where 2 chambered barrels exist (the RFD having requisite authority to possess).

    Its no great problem either way, I can put in for a variation. On the other hand, there is no point at which I have acquired or am in possession of a firearm or component parts that I don't have the right to hold (given that the right relates to the complete firearm).

    I'm sure this has been asked before, couldn't find a definitive answer though.

  2. #2
    I don't follow what you are trying to achieve, however I'm fascinated how you currently have in your possession a .223 which is not proofed. Regards JCS

  3. #3
    Well I'm guessing that as he's talking of chambering the new barrel, that maybe he fitted and chambered the one that has no markings, if that's the case, no need to prove said rifle unless it gets transferred one way or another.


    In answer to the OP, yes, if you cut the chamber off the 'old' barrel before fitting up the new one, then there is nothing wrong in that, once you cut the chamber off, it's not a licensable item, same as your new blank.
    But, if somebody else reams it, they cannot legally let you have it without going through proof testing.
    DIY, no issues. Though, I think I'd get it proved for peace of mind
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

    Home | Varminting UK

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    Well I'm guessing that as he's talking of chambering the new barrel, that maybe he fitted and chambered the one that has no markings, if that's the case, no need to prove said rifle unless it gets transferred one way or another.
    Correct. In this context (and right now its a question, I'm just weighing up the hassle vs interest factor of doing it myself) Barrel would actually not be a barrel, but rather a blank

    Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    In answer to the OP, yes, if you cut the chamber off the 'old' barrel before fitting up the new one, then there is nothing wrong in that, once you cut the chamber off, it's not a licensable item, same as your new blank.
    But, if somebody else reams it, they cannot legally let you have it without going through proof testing.
    DIY, no issues. Though, I think I'd get it proved for peace of mind
    I'd be doing the chambering myself (just for the fun of it really). Given that it would be the first thing I had ever chambered, then aside from the legalities with respect to transfer then getting it proofed would be on my list to do.

    It probably will just be easier to have someone else do it. I would want to make sure I stayed on the right side of the law if I do though.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I don't follow what you are trying to achieve, however I'm fascinated how you currently have in your possession a .223 which is not proofed. Regards JCS
    Ah, I see what you mean - yes there will be proof marks on it. What I meant was that the barrel is not serial numbered or otherwise identifiable as far as I am aware.

  6. #6
    are you doing the barrel fitting?

    if not then whoever is will already have this covered.

    If yes then I am not sure i understand the logic of destroying a barrel just to avoid having a fairly simple variation?
    I would have thought even a chambered section with 1mm of rifling is still a controlled/licensable item

    seems a lot of effort to circumnavigate something unless it is a "theoretical" exercise

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    are you doing the barrel fitting?

    if not then whoever is will already have this covered.

    If yes then I am not sure i understand the logic of destroying a barrel just to avoid having a fairly simple variation?
    I would have thought even a chambered section with 1mm of rifling is still a controlled/licensable item

    seems a lot of effort to circumnavigate something unless it is a "theoretical" exercise
    I was thinking that I'd do the whole thing. I haven't ever done a barrel (or anything else related, mostly work on a race truck), but I have the facility to do it (accurate late, I'd need the reamer and a spider); but for the sake of 20 or whatever the variation fee is then at least all bases are covered. At least then if I bugger it up I won't be left with no barrel to use I suppose.

  8. #8
    is a (set of) reamer(s) and spider not going to cost you considerably more than getting it done somewhere else?
    appreciate this may not impact interest in doing it yourself

  9. #9
    Undoubtedly, though in the grand scheme of things its not a huge amount of money (PTG removable pilot reamers run to about 150, spider I can fabricate) and it would be an interesting thing to do.

    What will be expensive is if I get it wrong; what would be worse if it it were dangerous. Like many things though somethings are just a challenge and worth doing for the sake of themselves.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I don't follow what you are trying to achieve, however I'm fascinated how you currently have in your possession a .223 which is not proofed. Regards JCS
    I imagine he means it has no distinguishing marks?

Similar Threads

  1. Changing brass
    By foxyrich in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20-08-2014, 00:55
  2. Barrel changing sauer 202
    By jimbo123p in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 20:31
  3. Changing rifle
    By stig in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 10:30
  4. The Changing Seasons
    By vizslamad in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15-12-2009, 15:25
  5. Changing ammo manufacturer or hot barrel to blame?
    By willtomand in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16-08-2009, 08:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •