Thread: weschenfelder biltong instructions?

weschenfelder biltong instructions?

I have been intending to make some venison biltong.
    I have bought some biltong spice from weschenfelder however I have lost the step by step instructions that came with it.

Anyone have them?
    I think it also comes with their sausage/burger instructions.

Hey Scuba its not step by step, but this is a start..

Authentic Biltong Spice......this is a complete Biltong spice blended from a recipe kindly handed down from a friend in Bloemfontein. Simply marinade your meat in a little water & vinegar & coat with this spice mix before drying.The spice smells wonderful & produces a very,very nice Biltong.

I use a different biltong mix, but I marinade it in cider vinegar and coat the meat in the mix for four hours, then dry it for four to five days. Hope this helps

Brill, thanks.
    Giving it a whirl tonight, will let you know how it goes.

Hope it all goes good, out of curiosity what will you use to dry it?

atb

I dip my strips of meat in malt vinegar then lay in the biltong mix each side then dry for 3 days
    I like it still slightly moist / chewy in middle

1 ... Cut with grain of meat
    2... Don't let the hanging pieces touch one another
    3... Enjoy !

Paul

think so....

you can buy them but also make them cheap enough, I was going to but a mate had one didn't like it so I bought off of him .

basically its just a plastic storage box with lid you buy out of any hardware b&q type place or local nickel n dime store.

mount a 60w filament bulb holder low on one "gable end" and higher up on the opposite side mount in a small PC fan.
    drill some small diameter holes in both gables .

that way you have air coming in & getting heated up by the bulb but the PC fan is ensuring a thru bore of air.

just used small dowels cut to length across the top of the box that sit just in the moulded lip near top.
    then using paperclip bent into mini S-hooks hang yer meat .... I put ontop of the fridge then check after 3 days and its bout perfect... looks like ghandis flip flop on outside but still just slightly moist n chewy inside ....

but for this needs to be good thick strips ....if thinner then check after shorter time

always cut yer meat along or with the grain
    never let the strips hanging touch one another

enjoy!!!

paul

That sounds like another project that is going on the list, good info guys.

I make my biltong by cutting into thick slices, about 25mm thick, then cover in salt and leave for about 30-45 minutes. Wash off the salt, pat dry then dip into vinegar, I use cider vinegar, then coat in spice. My spice mix is simply 50/50 black pepper corns and whole coriander broken up in a pestle and mortar, I often add roughly ground dried chillies for a bit more heat.
    I then hang in a home made drying box for 3 or 4 days.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by scubadog View Post
    I have been intending to make some venison biltong.
    I have bought some biltong spice from weschenfelder however I have lost the step by step instructions that came with it.

Anyone have them?
    I think it also comes with their sausage/burger instructions.