To camouflage or not

s8mdevo

Is it necessary to have full camo when stalking? Does a green jacket and pants do as good a job as a full mossy oak or realtree set up? I am looking at some new gear this winter and wondered what you guys are wearing

Not at all necessary in my opinion and the plain gear looks less intimidating etc when you come across the public........

Camo to me is a way of selling extra clothing deer see things in different way to us
More shades of grey
so as said white skin and movement (or lack if it ) is very important to avoid
I had a doe and fawn walk past me on Monday within 10 yards I had olive green fleece/ deerhunter trousers and gloves and of course my midge proof face net on.
later I called in for fuel dressed in same clothes (minus gloves and face net) and no one gave me a second glance
You could say I had good allround como on :D

Walk like and dress like a rambler and deer will ignore you. Start being seen to be sneaky (your movement) and they don't like it.

Normal country clothing ( normal country folk) as opposed to cammo ( terrorist) will equally achieve the same result.

Stan

Camo to me is a way of selling extra clothing deer see things in different way to us
More shades of grey
so as said white skin and movement (or lack if it ) is very important to avoid
I had a doe and fawn walk past me on Monday within 10 yards I had olive green fleece/ deerhunter trousers and gloves and of course my midge proof face net on.
later I called in for fuel dressed in same clothes (minus gloves and face net) and no one gave me a second glance
You could say I had good allround como on :D

+1

Very bad look!

He'll, we now have camo bigots to sit along side DSCL2, Blaser and 6.5X55 nay sayers!

‎But then I do so adore camo and frankly not for any perceived advantage it affords in the field but rather the aesthetic I perceive and that I fully a knowledge is a matter of personal taste.

I blame this on the years I spent pawing the pages of the Cabela's fall catalogue that left a dent in the hall wood floor when falling through the letterbox each October.

My favourite pattern, other than our now redundant DPM, remains ‎the original all oak leaf Advantage and I'm sure as hell ain't gonna apologise for such on this forum!

K

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Last edited:
I'll have to agree with everyone else. Not necessary but personal choice I don't own any camo myself and much prefer greens and brown etc. because just like other say, once your not in the field you don't stick out so much.

Cheers,

G

While much has been made of how deer perceive their environment, folk seem to forget it ain't just us against the deer. There's a lot of other stuff out there that deer are also attuned to. How many times have you had a stalk busted by a cock pheasant going off, or pigeons clattering out of the wood and the targeted deer legs it? Anything that makes me less conspicuous across the visible and invisible spectrum is going to help.

Tweeds are the way forward. Usually wear a camo jacket with it although as long as it's not a bright colour like a predominantly white shirt or anything along those lines then you'll be fine. More important to stay out of the way (so to speak) of their other senses like smell and hearing. Depends as well on what area you're stalking. I stalk open hill which can be 2 hours drive by Argo each way so important to be covered from the elements whilst breathable and something that blends in. Echoing some of the above in that sometimes camo will stand out more. Stopping in a grassy pasture can get you caught out in camo where as green would blend in better. Plus you look suspicious if you fuel up in full ghillie suit.

Scott

It is more important to stalk really slowly and quietly and to make sure you stalk into the wind than to wear the 'right' label of clothing.
I also find your own ears are a great tool - you can very often hear a deer grazing before you see it.
Focus on your field crafts, not your clothing Brand or pattern.
'Quiet' clothes are more important than the colour/pattern, plain greens/olives/browns are fine and don't make you look like the SAS on patrol when you encounter a member of the public.

Walk like and dress like a rambler and deer will ignore you. Start being seen to be sneaky (your movement) and they don't like it.

Normal country clothing ( normal country folk) as opposed to cammo ( terrorist) will equally achieve the same result.

Stan

+1 I've seen more deer close up while I've been on my place just walking the dog or carrying out brush clearance etc. Seems when not stalking and making a bit of noise the deer and other animals are a bit more curious and don't get startled so stay and watch a while. That said if you're a super ninja stalker and they have no idea you're there than they can't react as they have nothing to react to.

Interesting discussion!

One thing to avoid is washing your camo or your greens/browns in any All Singing All Dancing Brighter Colour Super Washing Liquid/Powder. Most have an additive to boost the colour under UV spectrum.

What do deer see? Yep....towards the UV spectrum...so your best Bill Jordan Super HD Advanatge Breakup Mossy Oak Digi camo glows like your John Travolta suit on a Saturday night dance floor. Use a non UV detergent which has been covered on the forums before. Also movement is the key...especially with herd deer where there are always three or four pars of eyes scanning the horizon!

For those of you who stalk thro the end of Summer barley/wheat stubble or on the wind swept grassland on the open hill, the old British Army desert camo of browns is often a better "camo" than a Realtree or Woodland...which sticks out like a sore thumb as it is simply too dark for the background.

Me? I have a Klingon cloaking device which I alternate with my Harry Potter cape!

Back