Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lee-Enfield rifles.

Lee-Enfield rifles.

Pausing in Vancouver on my way to Alaska, I read in The Globe and Mail that "after decades of service, the military's last Lee Enfield rifles are finally getting close to retirement". Apparently Canada has a good stock of these rifles which are supplied to "Rangers" - who, I get the impression, are something like a civil defence force. The article was written for people who know about these matters. I quote again - "the current crop of rifles were purchased in 1947 and still are issued in their original boxes".
    Canada likes the old Lee-Enfield as "it works" in the conditions they meet, but Colt Canada have been contracted to design modern rifles. I wonder what they will come up with? Better than the rubbish supplied to our soldiers currently I imagine.
    Maybe there will be a load of these old rifles on the market for you geeky guys who like things like that.

I'm surprised that I don't see more on this forum regarding people using .303 for hunting. I'm guessing Colt Canada will either be providing a M16 variant or the Colt 901 which is basically a modernized AR10 (the predecessor to the AR-15/M16 but in 7.62).

Don't hold your breath for these rifles turning up on the civillian market. If they are even remotely still classed as military small arms, the UN has mandated that such weapons be destroyed rather than sold off, surplussed or put into storage.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

I have a few friends in the Rangers , they've been trying to come up with something to replace the Longbranch made Lee Enfield No 4 Mark 1* for years now . They still haven't found anything better , a tribute to a well designed rifle . The main problem has been that , whatever design is selected , Colt will have exclusive manufacturing rights on it . Understandably , there aren't any companies willing to do R&D for a design that Colt will profit from .

I read a piece on Canadian Gun Nuts a few weeks back that was written by one of the senior members of the Canadian Rangers . From what he said , they are perfectly happy with the Lee Enfield as an issue rifle , with good reason . It is arguably the best bolt action battle rifle ever built ( I'm sure to hear some disagreement on that lol ) and for the conditions it's used in there aren't any newer designs that can compete with it . They have tried C1A1's ( FAL ) and C7's (M-16 ) but they don't work very well in Arctic conditions so were never adopted . The Rangers aren't combat troops , they are the eyes and ears for the Canadian Military in the far north .The rifles are issued for protection against Polar bears , Arctic Grizzly , etc. and for gathering food , they're not expected to engage in combat , just to report on anything unusual such as surfaced Russian Submarines . The Rangers were formed during the Cold War when this was seen as a realistic possibility and some have said that their time was over . But with recent developments in the Ukraine and with the Russians laying claim to more of the Artic , I think they still have a duty to perform . Ivan is getting pushy up north , time will tell .

AB

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    Don't hold your breath for these rifles turning up on the civillian market. If they are even remotely still classed as military small arms, the UN has mandated that such weapons be destroyed rather than sold off, surplussed or put into storage.
    I've seen a few Ranger rifles over the years , they see hard use in the field and you probably wouldn't want one lol . The remaining un-issued rifles are going to be used to equip the Rangers . It's to bad , there aren't many un-issued No 4's available on the civilian market anymore and they're getting expensive .

AB

The Lee was the best battle rifle in bolt action that was ever built, IMHO. I have owned hundreds and still have....many.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    The Lee was the best battle rifle in bolt action that was ever built, IMHO. I have owned hundreds and still have....many.~Muir
    I know you do lol. One of these days we'll have to meet at the border and throw a few across , I've got some stuff you'd like too . I'll even throw first lol . Maybe I'll bring some with me when I come and get a Rokon ha ha .

Steve

Longbranch Enfields have been leaking out of Canada for years, and still are, but not like the rush of them in the late 1980s and early 1990s. There were even some C1A1s. I and several friends bought Longbranches and C1A1s back then, the Enfields for $100 and the FALs for $300.00. I bought an unissed, brand new No. 4 MkII from England in the cheesecloth wrap with matching SN bayonet for $200.00, and a near-new No.4 MkII with matching bayonet, pulled from an Irish armory, for $100.00. Today, I am seeing Longbranch Enfields for closer to $400.00.

There were a lot available back then , I bought a few myself . I had an un-issued Irish contract No 4 Mark II that was still in the wrap , with matching bayonet . I paid $ 250 CDN for it . It went to a friend who retired from the police as a retirement gift . They're still around for considerably more , but are getting harder to find . I've been keeping an eye out for one for Muir , one will turn up eventually . I still have an L1A1 that I won't part with , they were going for about the same as the FAL's you're talking about . The Aussie L1A1's went for about 200 and the Ishapores sold for 150 . I hunted deer with an Aussie when I was a young punk , it was a bit heavy but really accurate and reliable , I miss that old rig . If I knew then what I know now , oh well .

AB

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    I know you do lol. One of these days we'll have to meet at the border and throw a few across , I've got some stuff you'd like too . I'll even throw first lol . Maybe I'll bring some with me when I come and get a Rokon ha ha .

Steve
    I'll bring my No1 MkVI.~Muir