Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New FC rules

New FC rules

As from the April 2010 you will not be allowed to stalk on FC ground un-accompanied if you only have DMQ1,you will need to be with someone who has DMQ2..
    No Exceptions.
    There are at present only 2994 Level 2 holders...

I don't know if this applies to Scotland only, but would be interested if this is being touted throughout FC UK.

Regards
    griff

luckily i am one of the 2994 level 2 holders, but there is obviously allot of people out there with out the qualification that will be really peeved at the Forestry Commission's decision to bring this in... Will the FC struggle to get enough stalkers ? and will other forestry's follow suit ?
    bairn79

It's a one way street unfortunately. The private sector might well resist for a while for fear of loosing revenue if they make life too difficult for the guys with the money. However if the FC are to bring this rule in ,it ties in nicely with the Wildlife and Natural Environment Bill (page 14, competence).

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by bairn79 View Post
    luckily i am one of the 2994 level 2 holders, but there is obviously allot of people out there with out the qualification that will be really peeved at the Forestry Commission's decision to bring this in... Will the FC struggle to get enough stalkers ? and will other forestry's follow suit ?
    bairn 79 -

You do yourself a disservice. It's not luck. You took the trouble to do Level II.
    KevinF -

But dose this mean that there is an opening to train stalkers on FC ground if they have Lev 1 They cannot close the door on the training or they could be in trouble with the executive.

From what I have seen of FC's modus operandi recently they seem to be quite unwilling to lease any land - certainly up here (northern Scotland) - and there is no shortage of land which appears to be hoaching with deer.

I have had a couple of leases from them in the past and gave them up for various reasons - they have never been re-let, 7 and 6 years later. On one of these leases the deer are over-running into the adjacent land - where I get to shoot them for nothing!

It all seems more than a little wasteful though - and if the ban on DSC1 only lessees is true then there will basically be no-one around to take up any lease. I do have DSC2 - but I don't personally know anyone else who has.

There is a problem with training on FC ground. I asked if I could teach people for the DSC2 at the normal rate for the ground. I was told that they would look at it as a business and would want some of the action and the lease would have doubled in price! Not bad considering I was only going to take people out for nothing and try to get them to the levels that FC are dictating............. Confusing isn't it!

What is going to happen to the BASC scheme on Arran

Account Suspended
    It will be interesting to see how many of those 2994 DCS2 candidates actualy hold leases with the F.C and actually carry out culling operations. personally I think the Forestry Commision has shot themselves in their own foot if the Deer Commision for Scotland is to be believed there are to many deer on the ground as it is , restricting rifles is certainly not going to help the situation is it. Of those 2994 DSC2 candidates are a certain proportion of forest workers themselves who have also had to complete the portfolio as well as managers to comply with their job . A good deal of those left are partaking deer control work in southern England and not all DSC2 holders wish to be involved in a lease and the impositions and penalties imposed , so all in all not good news.
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 23-02-2010 at 09:46.

My hands are getting warm rubbing them together,i've got a fair bit of ground surrounding FC ground,so i suppose some of us will benefit from their mistakes,damn fools!.