Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: FAC considerations if planning to shoot in competitions

  1. #1

    FAC considerations if planning to shoot in competitions

    Just browsing on another site and came across a thread proposing a new class of target shooting at Bisley - S Class - Sporting rifle. The idea is that hunting rifles are used with a weight limit. No specialist aids, nothing more than the rifle in one hand and a couple of ammo boxes in the other. Shooting at 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards. Now this really appeals.

    The question: my FAC is conditioned for shooting deer and "any other lawful quarry". Do I need to join a club (or the NRA) and send the certificate off to have the target shooting condition added? I'm guessing this will be FMJ only.
    CH

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
    Just browsing on another site and came across a thread proposing a new class of target shooting at Bisley - S Class - Sporting rifle. The idea is that hunting rifles are used with a weight limit. No specialist aids, nothing more than the rifle in one hand and a couple of ammo boxes in the other. Shooting at 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards. Now this really appeals.

    The question: my FAC is conditioned for shooting deer and "any other lawful quarry". Do I need to join a club (or the NRA) and send the certificate off to have the target shooting condition added? I'm guessing this will be FMJ only.
    CH
    In a word - yes

  3. #3
    Tim is spot on. When I applied for .308 I was specifically told to apply for deer, zeroing AND target. My study for DSC 1 must be going in because whilst you can zero with deer / vermin legal expanding ammo you definately cannot use it within a target environment.

    God I feel an expert - no def a novice who is brain dead from cramming for DSC 1 in October.
    Mauser M03 Extreme .308 / Ruger 22 250

  4. #4
    Surely you have a "land over which the certificate holder has permission to shoot" condition? I was lead to understand that was standard. As a member of a club, you have permission to shoot over the ranges, and therefore surely that would be fulfilled (unless of course you don't have that condition)

    The other thing to remember is that it is unlawful to use expanding ammunition for competition. S5 is issued purely for shooting quarry and practicing. Zeroing and load development are ok at the range, but shooting a competition almost certainly wouldn't be. That leads to you needing to fire more bullets, to change from the expanding round zero to the "match" round zero, and back again, which is expensive and can be a real pain.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    Surely you have a "land over which the certificate holder has permission to shoot" condition? I was lead to understand that was standard. As a member of a club, you have permission to shoot over the ranges, and therefore surely that would be fulfilled (unless of course you don't have that condition)

    The other thing to remember is that it is unlawful to use expanding ammunition for competition. S5 is issued purely for shooting quarry and practicing. Zeroing and load development are ok at the range, but shooting a competition almost certainly wouldn't be. That leads to you needing to fire more bullets, to change from the expanding round zero to the "match" round zero, and back again, which is expensive and can be a real pain.

    Hi, yes I have an "Open Cert" and can use the rifle and ammo on land over which I have lawful authority to shoot.

  6. #6
    Then why do you think that you would need any kind of change to your certificate to allow you to shoot on ranges/in competition?

  7. #7
    if you are thinking of shooting at Bisley then you will either require a safe shooters card, or be there as part of a club and monitored by that club on a one to one basis, I believe the club involved in running the "S class" comp have covered that by making the comp part of a guest day. depending on calibre FMJ's can be considerably cheaper to load than expanding, I also find the zero for me remains almost identical between 150 grn pro-hunters and 155grn smk's, if you are shooting 300-500 you are going to have to rezero anyway, so no extra work really, and the practise will help so go for it
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    Then why do you think that you would need any kind of change to your certificate to allow you to shoot on ranges/in competition?

    Deer and AOLQ plus zeroing on ranges or land.... Shooting the rifle in a target shooting competition is a different usage. That's how I see it anyway.
    CH

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    if you are thinking of shooting at Bisley then you will either require a safe shooters card, or be there as part of a club and monitored by that club on a one to one basis, I believe the club involved in running the "S class" comp have covered that by making the comp part of a guest day. depending on calibre FMJ's can be considerably cheaper to load than expanding, I also find the zero for me remains almost identical between 150 grn pro-hunters and 155grn smk's, if you are shooting 300-500 you are going to have to rezero anyway, so no extra work really, and the practise will help so go for it
    Yes, it was being done as part of a guest day. I think it sounds like a really good idea.
    CH

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    The other thing to remember is that it is unlawful to use expanding ammunition for competition.
    Pedantry follows:
    1. Many kinds of non-S5 target-bullet expand ferociously. They are very far from being universally FMJs!
    2. My FAC allows use of S5 ammuntion 'only in connection with' (not, please note, 'only for') among other things 'the lawful shooting of deer' and 'the shooting of vermin'.
    If we further bear in mind that 'target practice' means in plain English 'the practice of shooting at targets', it is hard to see how using S5 in a competition would be unlawful if that competition was justifably useful practice for vermin or deer-shooting.
    My personal view is that first, I wouldn't wish to be the test-accused for this and second, if the idea were correct then claiming this justification while shooting with a sporter-weight rifle much beyond 300yds would almost certainly be pushing the 'in connection with' thing a bit far!

Similar Threads

  1. Perserverance and planning pays off!!
    By stratts in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 19:16
  2. ITV competitions
    By paultap in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-01-2014, 15:49
  3. Anybody planning a perthshire stalk????
    By andibrains in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 07:38
  4. sporting rifle competitions
    By nicholiath in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-04-2012, 11:26
  5. Planning Ahead
    By EMcC in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-02-2009, 15:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •