Thread: Amorous Roe Doe

Amorous Roe Doe

While feeding the pheasants this morning I noticed two roe, one of which was chasing the other. I finished feeding the drive and walked back to the truck for the binoculars for a closer look. To my surprise it was a doe which was chasing the buck. The buck would stop now and again and try to chase the doe off but she was having none of it and continued the chase, always about five yards behind. The buck eventually hopped into the wood with the doe in hot pursuit. Both were mature deer and looked in healthy condition. Can anyone shed any light on what was going on, is it a common occurrence?

Yes seen it a few times, you obviously have a doe that has come into season very late buck is no longer interested , a doe in season can be very insistent

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Yes seen it a few times, you obviously have a doe that has come into season very late buck is no longer interested , a doe in season can be very insistent
    JUST LIKE ANY FEMALE

Many thanks for the reply Bogtrotter. Mystery solved. The rut was very drawn out as usual here with activity starting mid July and only last week I shot a buck who was still chasing a doe.

Hi Scott
    Hope you are well. Yes, a funny rut here just over the hill from you. I put it down to the weather in part; I saw the first rutting activity in that very warm weather on the 13th July, it was on strong until August then with the wetter/colder weather it went quiet. However this Tuesday - 2nd September I saw a buck and doe 'in flagrante', this - of course coincided with a return to warmer weather.
    Nick