Thread: Fallow Failure (valuable experience nonetheless)

Fallow Failure (valuable experience nonetheless)

Hi all,
    I've just come back from visiting my parents who have moved back to the family's ancestral hometown in Yorkshire (I'm very jealous!) I managed to take the pup out to a lot of new environments and she even found her first pheasant. I also had fun in Dalby Forest boring the wife with stops every few minutes to look for slots where paths and rides intersect. I managed almost by accident to spot a couple of roe a long way off through my binoculars, but they didn't hang around in the open for long.
    Anyway, this blog isn't about my holiday, it's about an outing for fallow with trade member Elmer Fudd (Barry). I'd cleared it with "her indoors" that I could go on a paid stalk to mark my birthday, so after contacting a few trade members I settled on Barry as being the best value for money, also factoring travel costs to the ground, etc.
    My plan had been to get the train down to Barry's patch, then have the wife pick me up, hopefully with a nice young animal for the freezer. She even bought me for my birthday a book "Fit For Table" which has colour photos of how to gut and butcher everything from partridge and rabbits to trout and boar:
    Attachment 46528
    Attachment 46529

Barry met me at the station and we drove to a piece of ground to check zero and familiarise me with the rifle. We chatted in the truck about this and that, Barry entertaining me with plenty of stories and anecdotes.
    My test shots were ok, taken off the bonnet of the Pajero I put one just a little to the right. The next one I flinched (no idea why) and hit way off to the right, but still within the "kill zone". The third and final shot was dead centre, a little low, but Barry wasn't concerned as the range was quite short and the zero had been set further out.
    As we were walking to the target to have a look at the shots, we saw in the next field a melanistic doe making a run for it. She'd obviously been couched up in a small area of cover at the bottom of the field and been disturbed by the shooting.
    Back in the truck and we headed off to some woodland where Barry has the stalking. We stalked along a forestry track, stopping now and then to glass the fields that border the woodland. With the cover all up and the heat of the day, we didn't see much more than a couple of rabbits and some cows.
    Back in the truck now and off to our final spot, Barry told me he had a new portable high seat that we could erect and then spend the remaining hours waiting. His chosen spot overlooked a place where fallow had been coming out of the woodland to the fields. We cleared away plenty of hawthorne to expose the tree, and after a bit more "gardening" had it in place. Between us we removed as much as we could that obscured the view, leaving me with a fairly good window, but one or two annoying branches that we hadn't quite been able to reach. As it was a single seat, Barry left me to it, staying within sight and earshot but not wanting to sit like a dog under the seat.
    Attachment 46530

I sat still and tuned in to the surroundings. I glossed around and looked for likely spots along the boundaries where the deer might appear, all the time enjoying the evening sun. I could hear buzzards calling, and through the binoculars watched various birds in between spying for deer.
    As the sun dropped lower my excitement built. I knew that as dark approached the likelihood of seeing a deer increased, as the likelihood of having enough light for a shot decreased. I waited right up until the light had gone, but sadly saw nothing moving. Barry told me that he had seen plenty from where he had been waiting just a stone's throw from the seat, but I hadn't been able to see from my angle. They weren't in range for shooting anyway, which came as some consolation.
    So, it was back to meet my wife and break the news that that cement tray in the car I'd bought especially for the occasion would be staying empty for this trip. Nevertheless I had a good time, Barry taught me a thing or two about deer, and helping him with the high seat was worth it for the experience. As I said to Barry, it's not all about shooting deer, especially for a novice like me with so much still to learn.
    All I need to do now is arrange a date to go back and try again!
    I highly recommend Elmer Fudd for a good day out, he's a decent down-to-earth bloke and I definitely feel like I got value for money from my outing even without a carcass to take home. Cheers Barry!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Hi Simon, its ironic that the deer came out right in front of the area where I normally sit in my vehicle and watch, but they had been coming out lately right in front of where we erected the portable highseat.
    I measured the distance where the deer were coming out and it was 175 mtrs, sods law
    It was interesting we could still see them through my bino's but you couldn't through yours so that tells you something, tell your good lady you want some bino's for Christmas or at least make sure you buy a good scope when you are in the market to set yourself up with stalking equipment. Even the cheapest rifle will give you the results you want but spend the extra on better optics as you need to be able to identify your target and see the aim area.

Don't forget you can come back for free when you are ready and try again

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by ELMER FUDD View Post
    Hi Simon, its ironic that the deer came out right in front of the area where I normally sit in my vehicle and watch, but they had been coming out lately right in front of where we erected the portable highseat.
    I measured the distance where the deer were coming out and it was 175 mtrs, sods law
    It was interesting we could still see them through my bino's but you couldn't through yours so that tells you something, tell your good lady you want some bino's for Christmas or at least make sure you buy a good scope when you are in the market to set yourself up with stalking equipment. Even the cheapest rifle will give you the results you want but spend the extra on better optics as you need to be able to identify your target and see the aim area.

Don't forget you can come back for free when you are ready and try again

Barry
    Can't complain at the binoculars, they were given to me very kindly by a member on here for nothing. My aim is to move them on to somebody else who can benefit as I get my own good better set. They still did well, it was only very last thing that they started to let me down.

I haven't forgotten, that's very decent of you and I'll be taking you up on it as soon as I can get the wife to agree to another road trip. I'd come on the bike but I'm not sure I have enough bungees to secure a fallow to the pilion seat
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

cant ask fairer than that , well done

Quote Originally Posted by 223 View Post
    cant ask fairer than that , well done
    Definitely, just shows that despite some people's moaning on here the majority of stalkers taking paying clients are perfectly decent and not con artists!
    Blog

For those who are new to stalking for me it is a reward when they get their first deer and that is why I normally invite them back at no cost to try again and again if need be, its not about just taking their money.

Sooner or later they will be in the right place at the right time and with the right animal in season stood right in front of them, does not matter what it has on its head as they are all fair game if they present themselves, Forestry commission policy around here is shoot everything and that's why they wait for the does to come into season before starting their cull, that way anything seen is targeted.
    Therefore their is no reason for me to be selective and it gives my clients more chance of a shot.

When I first started stalking I just went for cull bucks as I was always too afraid of shooting an animal that may end up costing me a lot of money and I always said to myself if I was in a position to offer stalking then it would be at a set price with no extra for a trophy.

For the more experienced shot I allow them to stalk unaccompanied if that is their wish and they always get more than their 3 1/2 hrs stalk but it is up to them to stalk the woods and locate the deer.

I too can vouch for Barry's fairness with paying clients as I am one of them Going above and beyond to try to get you a deer.
    will be back up there soon to take barry up on his offer
    Dave

We had a look over by that seat tonight but getting there a bit later than planned decided to sit in normal place on the bank side and true to form the deer all came out right by the highseat and passed within 25yds of it. Typical