Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: switch barrel advice

switch barrel advice

I am looking to go down the route of a switch barrel rifle.
    I like the thought of one rifle does all cutting down on moderators and scopes, but as we know, it doesn't always work.
    I am looking to buy sauer/blaser/mauser and I am also open to other ideas too (AI, DTA etc).
    The calibres is all the usual short action 243 and 308 allowing the guarantee that you should be able to buy most ammo in majority of good gunshops.

I know that this has probably been done to death as a topic, but up to date first hand experience is always good knowledge to have from people willing to pay out their own pocket.

Mauser M03 Extreme .308 / Ruger 22 250

Buy one rifle per calibre with one scope per rifle.

Saves messing about re zeroing, and generally wasting time.

Been there, done that,

^^^ he knows !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

I have a Mauser M03, high grade stock, blued finish, engraved, no moderator - absolutely beautiful rifle, super accurate. I fancied the switch barrel thing too but I bought the rifle in 6.5 x 55 at the ouset with thoughts of other calibre options coming along eventually. Never happened. Still shooting the 6.5 at deer, in my case the majority being woodland reds. Don't need anything else. The switch barrel thing now kind of wasted on me. I suppose it's a nice possibility to have but unlikely to be used in my case. Still have a beautiful rifle though. If you go with a Mauser you won't regret it. I have no affiliation with the Mauser company, I'm just a very happy Mauser owner.

Talking to a few of the reps; from some of the manufacturers of switch barrel rifles at the CLA, they all said that although sales of switch barrelled rifles were very good in actual fact the number of people who did use the facility to change calibres was remarkably low.

I think the concept is good and a good sales point but having tried to go down the route of switching calibres by the time all the costs were added up it seemed to make more sense to get an additional rifle.

Switch barrel rifles are perfect for the travelling hunter. You just pick the make that suits you.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    in actual fact the number of people who did use the facility to change calibres was remarkably low.

I think the concept is good and a good sales point but having tried to go down the route of switching calibres by the time all the costs were added up it seemed to make more sense to get an additional rifle.
    That describes how I use my switch barrel rifle almost exactly. I have two barrels for the thing but only ever use one of them now and the rifle itself tends to stay fully assembled most of the time.
    I only ever dismantle it on the now rare occasion that I want to take it on a foreign trip.
    I've got another rifle in an additional chambering on order and it's a conventional rifle.
    Unless you really need to break a rifle down on a regular basis for transport, I wouldn't bother buying one.
    There's nowt wrong with any of the major brands, despite what some might say, but you're still gonna be paying a premium akin to a semi-custom for what is still a factory rifle and one which you might not fully utilise.

That said, it's your choice mate, if you really want one do a bit of research and get one you like - you'll probably love it.
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Have thought about the discontinued chapuis challenger?

I wish I had bought my Sauer 202 6.5x55 in the takedown format. Would be easier to travel with and I could take a 30-06 barrel with me as well.

Seriously, when a rifle has previously been zeroed with a calibre, how difficult is it to remember the number of clicks needed to get it somewhere near and then check zero with a few shots? When I have travelled with mine, I always check the zero anyway.

I appreciate that the Blaser system pairs the scope with the barrel, so less hassle but more cost.

regards

Ian