Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using thermal on witnessed stalks

Using thermal on witnessed stalks

I recently was asked the question " can I use my thermal to spot deer on a witnessed stalk"
    using thermal myself for foxing I know how easy it would be to see deer that may otherwise be missed using binoculars. My personal opinion is that it's cheating. Am I alone or is it progression ??
    Atb Steve

I would think not,in my opinion the whole thermal bit, fox or deer,is too much,I mean who wants to eradicate the very animal that gives us our sport.
    The same thinking,also gets me leaning towards the use of trail cams,wheres the thrill and mystery gone,
    I have just got a tiny bit of ground bordered by a large forest,seen one munty[not shot] in 10 outings,but imagine next time if the best buck in the forest strolls out on to my ground.
    Thats what I like about this stalking game.
    Tod.

If the answer is no, doesn't the logical progression of that go back to a loincloth and a pointed stick only? And maybe not even those!

Alan

If you need a deer that outing (cull plan/freezer is empty) then why not use whatever is legal?

If you're stalking for pure pleasue then why not use open sights and a muzzle loader etc

Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    I recently was asked the question " can I use my thermal to spot deer on a witnessed stalk"
    using thermal myself for foxing I know how easy it would be to see deer that may otherwise be missed using binoculars. My personal opinion is that it's cheating. Am I alone or is it progression ??
    Atb Steve
    My opinion is there are hunter's and there are shooters , I think if a pleasure stalker has to gain that much advantage they are A ; desperate or B ; not good enough to be of a level 2 standard , just my opinion !

Just to clarify lads this relates to Level 2 witnessed stalks

​atb Steve

With regards to Vermin I see no issue with the use of thermal. However

regarding deer.. Is it legal ?

Rgds Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Should you use bino,s, ?

fine by me , you've still got to stalk and shoot the beast , spotting them is the easy bit in my opinion !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

There is nothing in the witness guides to say that using a visual aid to spot potential quarry is not allowed, binoculars are encouraged and many PC questions can relate to such visual aids being used and maintained in good working order. So as a Witness myself if a candidate has thermal and uses it on a stalk with me I have no problem with it. Then again if a candidate wishes to use a full bore muzzle loader with open sites to shoot a cull animal I am fine with that as long as it fulfills the requirements of the deer act and the candidate is safe. Problem will be proving that your ML load is upto scratch on the day. So if any one wants a witnessed stalk with a ML bring a calculator and chronograph too !

Is is it legal ? As long as it's a hand held unit for spotting then I'm not aware of anything in the deer act that states thermal is ileagle !

Skipp
    Last edited by skippy1001; 05-09-2014 at 13:00. Reason: Additional info