At the Holts Auction

That Mauser is beautiful.

But what a ghastly mis-match with the calibre! .223/5.56 may be highly practical, but it's also unredeemably humdrum, and for that reason alone not worthy of a finely-crafted bespoke rifle, which should properly shoot a cartridge that is both more classic and more exotic (even if it has the same ballistics as its blue-collar counterpart).

After all, would you buy a classic car with denim-covered seats? it would drive just as well and go just as fast, but would be a constant source of embarrassment... "Umm, yes, the seats,.. well, the previous owner put those in". Not good.

Last edited:
But what a ghastly mis-match with the calibre! .223/5.56 may be highly practical, but it's also unredeemably humdrum, and for that reason alone not worthy of a finely-crafted bespoke rifle, which should properly shoot a cartridge that is both more classic and more exotic (even if it has the same ballistics as its blue-collar counterpart).

After all, would you buy a classic car with denim-covered seats? it would drive just as well and go just as fast, but would be a constant source of embarrassment... "Umm, yes, the seats,.. well, the previous owner put those in". Not good.

Calibre notwithstanding, It still looks a beautiful rifle.:D

Steve.

Calibre notwithstanding, It still looks a beautiful rifle.

But once you took it home and found yourself loading it from a box marked .223 I think you'd feel only slightly happier than getting home from a party and discovering the gorgeous girl you'd picked up... wasn't a girl at all. Some could learn to live with something like that, of course; but for most I suspect it would somewhat take the shine off things!

Mods, can we have a tongue-in-cheek smiley, please?

Popularity aside, I think a .243 to .285 calibre cartridge is much more fitting in a classic deer stalking rifle not to mention more versatile.

Yes but the whole point is that it is a mini mauser action dimensioned for 222 sized cartridge. The 5.6x57 needs a standard sized action. In .222 it is just nice and petit. What you then need is one built in the same style in 7x57 and then one in 375h&h again with similar styling but appropriately sized and weighted.

Yes but the whole point is that it is a mini mauser action dimensioned for 222 sized cartridge. The 5.6x57 needs a standard sized action. In .222 it is just nice and petit. What you then need is one built in the same style in 7x57 and then one in 375h&h again with similar styling but appropriately sized and weighted.

You have a point, but a man can dream :)

Thanks for the correction SR20. Friday evening, a tumbler or two of malt and a spell on the SD seemed like a good combination at the time. :oops:

No re-chambering option then. :cry:

Got to say there is a long tradition of Mausers appearing in military calibres so a 223 fits into the scheme of things pretty well. :stir:

David.

Got to say there is a long tradition of Mausers appearing in military calibres so a 223 fits into the scheme of things pretty well. :stir:

David.

Hahahahahaha too true. It's just that .223 is a boring, unimaginative cartridge which is only chosen by boring people :stir:
I joke I kid. It's a great calibre. I just like custom rifles in different chamberings. Adds to the mystique

Hahahahahaha too true. It's just that .223 is a boring, unimaginative cartridge which is only chosen by boring people :stir:
I joke I kid. It's a great calibre. I just like custom rifles in different chamberings. Adds to the mystique

now if you built it in 6mm-223 it would be nicely bespoke, as well as deer legal, although you might some modern high energy powder to get enough oomph behind a 100gn billet to get sufficient velocity.

Back