Thread: difference between Remington 700 SPS DM and SPS Varmint

difference between Remington 700 SPS DM and SPS Varmint

Visually - how do you tell the difference? Are there marking on the barrel indication the model variety? Is it a code stamped on the barrel? I now the DM has standard barrel and the varmint variety has a heavier barrel, but other than that how else to differentiate and tell which is what?

Quote Originally Posted by spatan7510 View Post
    Visually - how do you tell the difference? Are there marking on the barrel indication the model variety? Is it a code stamped on the barrel? I now the DM has standard barrel and the varmint variety has a heavier barrel, but other than that how else to differentiate and tell which is what?
    Err.......DM stands for Detachable Magazine so i think that would be a massive visual clue!!

Ian.

So the Varmint does not have a detachable magazine? Because as far as I am aware the Rem 700 I have seen in an AI stock have detachable magazines and they generally use SPS varmints?

In AI stock Remy use AI magazine.
    If you drop them in AI chassis any Remember can use AI mags.

As well as being heavier profile, the SPS Varmint's barrel is longer than that on the standard SPS models - 26 v 22 or 24 inch. Both models use horrible cheap hollow 'boomy' plastic stocks, but different models thereof. The base SPS sporters i/c the DM version have a skinny standard sporter type with a standard length and sharply tapered / narrow forend with a single swivel stud; the Varmint has a much longer and significantly wider forend with less taper and whose lower edge is close to lying parallel with the barrel. It comes with two studs, one for a sling swivel, the second for a bipod. If I remember right, the Varmint also has some cooling slots along the forend sides.