Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence

Scottish Independence

Does anyone have any idea how this will affect stalkers wanting to shoot in Scotland? My wife's family live in N Ireland and bureaucracy involved in taking any firearms on the ferry through the Republic and then into N Ireland is too obstructive to contemplate.

Too early to say I'm afraid.
    Check back in two weeks and ignore the daft comments meantime.
    Atb
    fraser
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

My own personal opinion will be that if independance happens, come time it will be harder to get stalking in Scotland.
    The SNP already want to split up the estates, and their views on firearms dont bode well for the recreational stalker..... Thats without knowing what their border policies will be.... another thing they have failed to mention..

Most likely very little if any, the SNP would like to see more land in public hands rather than the big private estates at present, but for many estates hill ground in particular there is really no other use for it I other than stalking

SNP are on record as wanting to change some of the firearm laws, while not popular with shooter these are likely to be no more than an inconvenience , for example licensing air guns already on the cards, limiting the number of shotguns a person can hold, and proving need for rifles held

No political party regardless of there colour can or are shortsighted enough to ignore how much field sports brings to the Scottish economy , so while no doubt there maybe some changes they are unlikely to be major.

There are no plans to restrict movement across the border by what were previously UNited Kingdom citizens.

All the above is dependent on a yes vote which is far from certain, also everyone seems to think that a yes vote will leave the SNP in power, again far from certain it's just as likely maybe more so that we would end up with labour in power or maybe some sort of coalition, it's not only SNP supporters who will be voting yes.

In the case of a no vote the Scottish parliament will still almost certainly have either a SNP or Labour majority and with all devolved powers the other party's are promising Scotland if we say no, I don't think it's going to make a great deal of difference to the ordinary Joe in the street.

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Too early to say I'm afraid.
    Check back in two weeks
    and ignore the daft comments meantime.
    Atb
    fraser

Thinking about this, has a timescale been mentioned as to how long it will take before a result of the vote can be announced?

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    the SNP would like to see more land in public hands rather than the big private estates at present, but for many estates hill ground in particular there is really no other use for it I other than stalking
    Excuse my stupidity, but how do you take land out of the hands of the private estates, other than stealing it? Is that a good thing?

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Excuse my stupidity, but how do you take land out of the hands of the private estates, other than stealing it? Is that a good thing?

Z
    'The right to roam' is one good example.

The way I see it, is, it is a waiting game, for now. First the vote has to be cast (and any who are eligible to vote, and don't, are not allowed to say ANYTHING about it, pro or con, at any later date). This time, the choice is in the proper hands; that of the people and not the aristocracy.

I don't believe the gun laws or stalking will be very close to the front of what is on the minds of the Scottish PMs, be the vote yea or nea, so, for a while, we may have some 'breathing room to prepare for what may come.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post

Z
    Buy it off them with public money:

Highlands and Island Enterprise

List of community buyouts in Scotland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Salmond is a communist

Salmond and his administration are responsible for the decline of wild Atlantic salmon because of policies on coastal netting exploitation, fish farming and associated lice infestations. They care not a jot about the loss of this iconic and species from whole river systems. Nor do they care about impending job losses in rural communities as people stop coming to fish.

Scottish wild salmon fishing at risk | North Atlantic Salmon Fund (NASF). Helping restore Atlantic salmon to their natural abundance

Salmon Trout Association | Game Anglers | Fish Conservation | Fish Management

This does not bode well for sport stalking and gun ownership in Scotland.

vote No thanks, No borders on the 18th.
    Last edited by Hayduke; 07-09-2014 at 22:54.