Scottish Independence

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodkayak

Does anyone have any idea how this will affect stalkers wanting to shoot in Scotland? My wife's family live in N Ireland and bureaucracy involved in taking any firearms on the ferry through the Republic and then into N Ireland is too obstructive to contemplate.

My own personal opinion will be that if independance happens, come time it will be harder to get stalking in Scotland.
The SNP already want to split up the estates, and their views on firearms dont bode well for the recreational stalker..... Thats without knowing what their border policies will be.... another thing they have failed to mention..

Most likely very little if any, the SNP would like to see more land in public hands rather than the big private estates at present, but for many estates hill ground in particular there is really no other use for it I other than stalking

SNP are on record as wanting to change some of the firearm laws, while not popular with shooter these are likely to be no more than an inconvenience , for example licensing air guns already on the cards, limiting the number of shotguns a person can hold, and proving need for rifles held

No political party regardless of there colour can or are shortsighted enough to ignore how much field sports brings to the Scottish economy , so while no doubt there maybe some changes they are unlikely to be major.

There are no plans to restrict movement across the border by what were previously UNited Kingdom citizens.

All the above is dependent on a yes vote which is far from certain, also everyone seems to think that a yes vote will leave the SNP in power, again far from certain it's just as likely maybe more so that we would end up with labour in power or maybe some sort of coalition, it's not only SNP supporters who will be voting yes.

In the case of a no vote the Scottish parliament will still almost certainly have either a SNP or Labour majority and with all devolved powers the other party's are promising Scotland if we say no, I don't think it's going to make a great deal of difference to the ordinary Joe in the street.

the SNP would like to see more land in public hands rather than the big private estates at present, but for many estates hill ground in particular there is really no other use for it I other than stalking
Excuse my stupidity, but how do you take land out of the hands of the private estates, other than stealing it? Is that a good thing?

Z

The way I see it, is, it is a waiting game, for now. First the vote has to be cast (and any who are eligible to vote, and don't, are not allowed to say ANYTHING about it, pro or con, at any later date). This time, the choice is in the proper hands; that of the people and not the aristocracy.

I don't believe the gun laws or stalking will be very close to the front of what is on the minds of the Scottish PMs, be the vote yea or nea, so, for a while, we may have some 'breathing room to prepare for what may come.

Salmond and his administration are responsible for the decline of wild Atlantic salmon because of policies on coastal netting exploitation, fish farming and associated lice infestations. They care not a jot about the loss of this iconic and species from whole river systems. Nor do they care about impending job losses in rural communities as people stop coming to fish.

Scottish wild salmon fishing at risk | North Atlantic Salmon Fund (NASF). Helping restore Atlantic salmon to their natural abundance

Salmon Trout Association | Game Anglers | Fish Conservation | Fish Management

This does not bode well for sport stalking and gun ownership in Scotland.

vote No thanks, No borders on the 18th.

Last edited:
It is not a given that an independent Scotland would be run by Salmond & the SNP. The post independence general election would probably be won by the (Scottish) Labour Party.

Does anyone have any idea how this will affect stalkers wanting to shoot in Scotland? My wife's family live in N Ireland and bureaucracy involved in taking any firearms on the ferry through the Republic and then into N Ireland is too obstructive to contemplate.

Nobody can possibly have any idea rodkayak, the most that anyone can do is to speculate. However just think of it as a separate country that would be outside of the E.U. (initially any way) so it will be just the same as visiting the U.S. or Russia and you will have to comply with any legislation that they would put in place.

Travelling to N.I. via the republic will always be awkward because in addition to travelling through another state you have a slightly different situation and restrictions in place in N.I. itself. It will always be easier to go direct to N.I. than via the republic if carrying firearms.

Last edited:
The stall is already laid out - Scottish Government, or rather the SNP want full devolution of firearms legislation and in conjunction with land reform and SNH setting cull targets I fail see how that is a good thing. Kenny McCaskill has already virtually stated he doesn't want any firearms in public hands.

My personal opinion is that they have been making it as difficult as possible for long enough and will change gear big style if independence happens, as the easy promises will be rushed through - look at tail docking, laws that are an easy target which they haven't reviewed as they said they would.

It will start by breaking large estates to stop organised shoots (already talk controlling this more), it will then be DSC 2 (forget about DSC 1 - thats the basic entry exam to begin the process), then it will be "actually we are going to start a government deer control team, under the auspices of creating jobs; so no need to have private firearm ownership other than or say farmers/vets and so it will go on.

I wrote to the local SNP councillor regarding the proposed air gun ban and got a typical reply which started 'there will always be differing opinions by the pro gun lobby', funny as I never mentioned anything about 'pro shooting lobby's', just my concerns about the way, means and reasons potential legislation was being implemented and how it would be enforced.

I highlighted existing legislation which if correctly enforced is more than adequate - it was ignored, "as you know the Scottish Govenrnment want full devolution of firearms legislation" was the answer.

It was very much a case of 'we know what we want and the public probably wants' ignoring quite significant opposition. I'd love to be proved wrong but let's see what happens.

Last edited:
Is Salmond a communist? Possibly, centralisation of our police force, a want to do away with corroboration in our legal system and the children and young persons act,,,, the signs are there. Who's familiar with agenda 21, the UN agenda for the 21st century, I don't hear many people talking about and less who even wtf it is, well let me assure you it affects every one of us equally, north or south of the border and beyond.

Most likely very little if any, the SNP would like to see more land in public hands rather than the big private estates at present, but for many estates hill ground in particular there is really no other use for it I other than stalking

SNP are on record as wanting to change some of the firearm laws, while not popular with shooter these are likely to be no more than an inconvenience , for example licensing air guns already on the cards, limiting the number of shotguns a person can hold, and proving need for rifles held

No political party regardless of there colour can or are shortsighted enough to ignore how much field sports brings to the Scottish economy , so while no doubt there maybe some changes they are unlikely to be major.

There are no plans to restrict movement across the border by what were previously UNited Kingdom citizens.

All the above is dependent on a yes vote which is far from certain, also everyone seems to think that a yes vote will leave the SNP in power, again far from certain it's just as likely maybe more so that we would end up with labour in power or maybe some sort of coalition, it's not only SNP supporters who will be voting yes.

In the case of a no vote the Scottish parliament will still almost certainly have either a SNP or Labour majority and with all devolved powers the other party's are promising Scotland if we say no, I don't think it's going to make a great deal of difference to the ordinary Joe in the street.

Sensible stuff BT.

you mean like the presant day estate owners ancesters done 400 years ago?

Just have a look at Zimbabwe - compulsory purchase legislation voted through and then force land owners off their land. Not just whites, but whole swathes of the country have had people forced off their land to allow Chinese diamond mining and agriculture.

Perhaps Gordon Brown would like a yes vote he could then be President of Scotland LOL. My flippant reply over my view has been posted months ago, but now I think that David Cameron should be SACKED he is unworthy of the UK number 1 Public Position as PM we are almost at the possible point of the Union being dismantled by 1 Nations vote. This issue should have gone to a UK all nation vote the same as a General Election vote as, the outcome affects us all.

Jimbo

They evicted whole villages...Imber...once "in the national interest.

And flooded whole communities...Rutland Water...in the national interest.

And whole swathes of land for Heathrow Terminal 5...in the national interest.

Nationalising or more likely removing inheiritance tax exemptions or imposing new tax rules would be enough.

Wee Rabbie McGabe it would be in a post Independence "People's Democratic Republic of North Britain".

Last edited:
They evicted whole villages...Imber...once "in the national interest.

And flooded whole communities...Rutland Water...in the national interest.

And whole swathes of land for Heathrow Terminal 5...in the national interest.

Nationalising or more likely removing inheiritance tax exemptions or imposing new tax rules would be enough.

Wee Rabbie McGabe it would be in a post Independence "People's Democratic Republic of North Britain".

Have you sunk to reopening threads from two and a half years ago in order to argue with people about politics now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back