Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 x 55 Load Development - Complete

6.5 x 55 Load Development - Complete

Load development complete. Tested 34gn to 38.5gn.

120gn Sierra Pro Hunter.
    H4895 powder.
    Federal 210 match primers.
    All seated to 2.541" on New Lapua brass.

Average group over 45 rounds 0.631"

The round for my rifle 38gn giving 2657 on the Crono!

Interestingly the rifle was cleaned before LD started and now fully cleaned using C2R and found not to be that dirty ! The whole process has taught me a lot about ballistics, confidence in the rifle and probably more importantly my ability to put a round consistently where it needs to go !
    I think I'm finally ready to put it to the test.
    Heartfelt thanks to my mentor Ben Dorrington for his guidance and support throughout the journey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

I hope you opened the doors before shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Ratc View Post
    Load development complete. Tested 34gn to 38.5gn.

120gn Sierra Pro Hunter.
    H4895 powder.
    Federal 210 match primers.
    All seated to 2.541" on New Lapua brass.

Average group over 45 rounds 0.631"

The round for my rifle 38gn giving 2657 on the Crono!

Interestingly . . . for his guidance and support throughout the journey.

COL, are you sure - All seated to 2.541"?!

why so slow
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

The deer man, OAL was 2.541" my mistake.

Sikadog, "Why so Slow," Powder type? Neck tension? I don't know. The fastest we saw was 38.5gn at 2780. Compared to the fastest 38gn being 2671. I didn't think it was too shabby? Do you shoot 6.5 x 55 ? what would you expect to see?

BRYAN, It did make a bit of a bang with the door just slightly cracked......................!

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    why so slow
    Is that slow then?
    I am yet to reload for mine-Sako 85 with 18 barrel(I think).
    Shorter barrels give slightly less oomph don't they.
    Ratc, what barrel length is yours?

Bryan.

120grn sierras 2870 cant remember the load but will post when home.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Sikadog - Blimey, perhaps these are slow ! Appreciate the info when available.

BRYAN - It's a Sauer 202 with 21" barrel. I'm just loving it !

Personally, my take re the speed is neither here nor there, if it shoots well and can do the same out to 250 yds or the max you have in mind, then don't worry about it. My R93 in 6.5 x 55 is only 50 fps faster than yours using the 120 gr Pro Hunters - I would never trade off accuracy for a bit more speed. I shot this hind today at the request of the landowner, she was up on the side of a bracken hill lying down facing me (Could only see top of her neck and head) dialled in for a couple of clicks over 200 yds - she was ranged at 223 yds. Poor thing was blind due to New Forest disease (note the colour of her eyes) luckily she did not have a calf.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0175.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	729.7 KB 
ID:	46617

Yes, a lovely cartridge - still very underrated even with all the recent interest. If your load does what you want and need, that's good enough. QuickLOAD comes up with a velocity projection that's very close to your actual and says it's running at around original military load pressures, that is 45,000 psi.

I'd have two concerns over H4895 in the cartridge. As a fine grain fast-burner using a relatively light charge, it has a very low fill-ratio using somewhere just under 80% of the available space in the case. The norm is to achieve 90% fill, and better still get up to near 100% if possible. Low fill-ratio combinations can sometimes produce inconsistent performance. You'll not likely suffer any consequences though as H4895 is an outstandingly tolerant and flexible propellant with Hodgdon even producing a range of low pressure and velocity loads data for it as 'youth loads'.

Perhaps more pertinently, I hope you have a reasonable supply of the powder as none has been imported into Europe for over a year now and won't be for the foreseeable future - nothing this year and probably not next too. H4895 like all Hodgdon extruded ('stick' form) propellants are manufactured in Mulwala, New South Wales and travel in bulk to Kansas for bottling and northern hemisphere distribution. Something has gone awry in the Australia - New Zealand - USA shipping arrangements and tonnages are being seriously depressed on some safety ground or other, ships' captains refusing to carry explosives or restricting amounts.

Canadian manufactured IMR-4895 (also distributed by Hodgdon) will be available in a spotty fashion, and is a very similar powder, slightly slower burning than the H. version so is a possible replacement if you run out. It would need a bit of fine-tuning. Just a thought, and advice not to go burning up your H4895 stocks if you can avoid it.