Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moderator question

Moderator question

Hi all,

I know i am fairly new to this forum, however i have just got my FAC and am wanting to start getting into deer stalking as much as possible.
    My question is this- how much sound reduction can i expect from a decent mod on a .223 rem? in real terms that is, can i fire it without earplugs, as i am not sure whether to spend the money on a pair of CENS earplugs and spend less onthe mod or just get cracking mods for all rifles.
    I am partially deaf already with about 50% hearing in both ears, so want to make the best decision however i will be limited on cash after buying the rifles!

Cheers,

Mitch

Mitch

Some comments:

Hearing damage is cumulative.
    The moderator helps your shooting as well as reducing the noise.
    When taking shots at deer I'm not using any ear protection. When shooting on a range I do use ear protection.

Regards

JCS

ok so with a decent mod on there i will be able to take one or two shots without my ears ringing like crazy or damaging my hearing further?
    i always use in ear and on ear protection when on the range as well!

Cheers,

Mitch

No, hearing loss will only be slowed down by using a mod alone. Better to wear some sort of hearing protection and use a mod. I talk from experience, being hard of hearing is no fun.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    No, hearing loss will only be slowed down by using a mod alone. Better to wear some sort of hearing protection and use a mod. I talk from experience, being hard of hearing is no fun.

Al
    Completely agree, I've been half deaf since I was about 13. And wearing two hearing aids when you're in secondary school is even less fun.

Advice appreciated, think I will probs just save and buy the CENS anyway, hearings more important than money I suppose!

Cheers,

Mitch

Interesting discussion, as mentioned above I don't wear any hearing protection when stalking but if zeroing or firing a few shots I always do even though I always use a mod. The mod makes shooting easier through recoil reduction as well as noise reduction but can't make a shot so quiet as not damage your hearing. But for me, the thought of stalking with hearing protection doesn't grab me, I think it is too obstructive personally making it hard to hear deer moving and for me is a lot less comfortable. That being said, I have not experienced significant hearing damage so most likely have a totally different outlook on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by gmorrice96 View Post
    Interesting discussion, as mentioned above I don't wear any hearing protection when stalking but if zeroing or firing a few shots I always do even though I always use a mod. The mod makes shooting easier through recoil reduction as well as noise reduction but can't make a shot so quiet as not damage your hearing. But for me, the thought of stalking with hearing protection doesn't grab me, I think it is too obstructive personally making it hard to hear deer moving and for me is a lot less comfortable. That being said, I have not experienced significant hearing damage so most likely have a totally different outlook on the subject.
    Yes that's why I think I should get the CENS, as they actually amplify small noises like wings flapping and deer footsteps etc but block out gunshots and the like.
    Just hard seeing as they are the thick end of 600!

Cheers for the replies!
    mitch

That's a lot of money. Depending on your budget, perhaps you can go for the cens and then shoot without mod. If possible get both.

Can you put a price on your hearing? In your situation I would go for hearing protection as the priority. You may also be able to pick up second hand mods at a decent price, most now are stainless or alloy so no need to worry about the internals being rusty. I wouldn't buy second hand steel mod as I seen how fast mine rusted after some neglect and wouldn't trust one somebody else has used.
    Last edited by gmorrice96; 07-09-2014 at 19:26.

Moderate and wear CENS I'm now clinically deaf at 34 for noise exposure it's ok the hearing aides help but the tinnitus drives you insane some days, don't do it protect your hearing it'll never get better.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiet123 View Post
    Yes that's why I think I should get the CENS, as they actually amplify small noises like wings flapping and deer footsteps etc but block out gunshots and the like.
    However, when using sound amplifying hearing protectors you may hear the noise of a deer working its way through the shrub, but you will loose the ability to pinpoint the direction where the noise is coming from. Only Mrk1 ears can do that, I often find that I can hear the deer (in particular Muntjac grazing, or a Roe crashing through undergrowth) before you can see them.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....