Brass dents??

Re-sizing, were fine and after I ran them through the full length sizer they appeared. Not sure if it was the first lot I did and there was too much lube on them. Never had it beforeon other calibres but this is the first time reloading .204

When I have dented cases through too much lube, the dent has always appeared on the shoulder of the case. I have not experienced a dent in the location shown in your pictures.
If your die has a vent hole make sure that it is clear. RCBS dies have a vent hole located in the main thread and it can get blocked with gunge.
If you think it is your lube, then consider changing to the Hornady One-Shot spray lube. I took a bit of convincing but once I tried it I have never used anything else.
Good luck and hope you get it resolved.

It looks to me as if the die is trying to push the shoulder back and buckling one side of the case.
If sikadog is right (very likely), then just back the die off half a turn and see what happens. If this resolves the problem, then do check that the resized cases will fit into your rifle and that the bolt will close properly. Even backing off a quarter of a turn may do the trick.
I once loaded 100 rounds into cases where the die had not been set down enough ..... result, they wouldn't fit into my rifle.:rolleyes:

I would say die is in to far and is crushing them,, you must have alot of cam over on your press stroke, atb swaro

If they fit ok, carry on using them, the dents will form out upon firing. Looks like too much lube, in the wrong area to me.

+1 on die setting and +1 on safe to shoot (provided they chamber easily)
I will check die setting today. I barely used any lube, it was the Lyman spray lube which I think is excellent and ice never had this before. When I set full length size die should I lower until it touches shell holder and then 1/4 turn lower before locking?

I got a few cases dented like that on FL sizing when a bit of corn husk tumbler media got stuck inside the die....

Didn't notice them before I ran them through die. I don't understand why it has only happened to a small percentage of cases.

I have seen this with cases that were hard in the neck and shoulder area, the gas/pressure is allowed to travel back along the case til it hits the point where is it sealed and it causes a dent. Sometimes it happens in a combination of a slower powder and inadequate seating depth. Might not be what it happening here but I was curious.~Muir

I would be interested to know the outcome and resolution of this problem, if the OP has achieved it ?

It looks to me as if the die is trying to push the shoulder back and buckling one side of the case.

How can it be? unless manufactures have changed the way they make FL dies, cases are sized within SAAMI spec by the die when it is touchung the top of the shell holder???
If shoulders are being crushed when the die is set up this way then it is either out of SAAMI spec or there some excess headspace issues going on.
While i am at it, why do many advance the die a further quarter turn once the die has made contact top of the shell holder? this achieves absolutely nothing except additional flexing of the press frame and ram.

Ian.

Back