Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sloe Gin

Sloe Gin

Hi chaps,
    I know we've done this before but I need some inspiration, mostly in the form of recipes and methods!
    Me + Mrs Buckaroo8 picked 2kg (4 1/2lb) of sloes yesterday and today we will bottle them up with all the ingredients.
    So, I wondered what gin people use? what kind of sugar? quantities? other special ingredients? how long do you leave it bottled up before straining out the sloes?
    any other tips from amateur sloe gin makers welcome!
    Cheers

A old timer on my lane swears blind that sloes shouldn't be picked to the first frost, if wanting to do it early use damsons he says. He also says better gin like Gordon's will produce better quality end products. He usese ordinary sugar not sure what ration. He likes to dissolve the sugar with the gin before he adds the fruit otherwise the sugar will lie dormant mixed with the berrys.

Apoliges not much help.

+1, Always pick sloes after first frost, the frost helps with the process of making Sloe gin, its a bit like freezing them to break down the fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    A old timer on my lane swears blind that sloes shouldn't be picked to the first frost, if wanting to do it early use damsons he says. He also says better gin like Gordon's will produce better quality end products. He usese ordinary sugar not sure what ration. He likes to dissolve the sugar with the gin before he adds the fruit otherwise the sugar will lie dormant mixed with the berrys.

Apoliges not much help.

I use the second cheapest gin in the supermarket, usually in 1.5 litre bottles. The majority of those who drink it wouldn't appreciate anything different and half the time mix it up with cheap fizz anyway!

I like to get them done early so just freeze the sloes. Then once thawed, put them on a baking tray and run over them gently with a spud masher to pop the skins (you can sit and stick them with a pin if you like....). If using bigger fruits I just cut round them with a knife.

Then I just chuck the resulting sloe mush in the jar with the gin and turn each week.

This year I've done sloe, damson and spiced plum.

I add the sugar to taste once I have strained it off which I do as I need it. the sugar doesn't do anything in the soaking process and takes up room unnecessarily.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-09-07 12.28.04.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	46638

Then I have a load of big kilner jars that I stew it up in.
    Last edited by Wingers243; 07-09-2014 at 12:02.

If you can, pick the sloes after the first frost. More concentrated flavour, IMO.

If not, freeze them. they will be quite soft when thawed out, and the skins will break quite easily.

Castor sugar will dissolve well, either added with the fruit, or after.

I have also substituted Maple Syrup in place of sugar, which gives a nice flavour.

Also,try adding a vanilla pod, for something different.

Below is strained and bottled sloe gin.
    Gooseberry gin.
    Unstrained sloe gin.

The gin used was not The Botanist, in case anyone was panicking.

I've also tried, but not made, orange gin and banana gin. Both pleasant enough.

Steve.

my recipe for wot its worth is 2lb sloes ,200gr sugar and a good 46% proof gin .***** the sloes ,drop them in a BIGGG kilner jar .sprinkle the sugar on then pore your gin in.turn once a day till the sugar dissolves then put in a dark cupboard for 3 months ,turning once a week .after 3 months filter n bottle adding sugar to each bottle depending on taste.enjoy chin chin

Just taken the sloes out of a jar which had got pushed to the back of a cupboard must be 8 yrs old, it is so smooth , I use the best gin I can afford usually Gordon's , I slit the sloes with a knife, 4lb of sloes to 2lb of sugar, shake daily until sugar has dissolved and leave for at least a year if possible.

I haven't quite got round to putting the ingredients together yet so still time for more suggestions folks!
    Thanks for the replies so far.......
    I have frozen the sloes that we picked......we are in a sheltered part of Cornwall so if we waited for a frost we might not actually pick them until Feb 2015
    If we do get a frost early on this winter I can always pick more and do another batch
    I have seen bottles of Tanqueray on special offer in one of the supermarkets recently, just can't remember which one so if I see it again I'll use that.....
    Also, I have a half bottle of Courvoisier which nobody seems to be drinking......would it hurt to throw it into the mix just to get shot of it??? or would it be better to make a batch of sloe brandy on its own?? or any other kind of fruit brandy for that matter.....open to suggestions
    Cheers

sainsburys had the tanqueray at 13 quid a bottle last week.your post had me open a 4 month old jar ,i was saving it for christmas but oh dear its now an empty jar.if your in a sloe free area u can also substitute plums ,gives a smoooth sweet drink that doesnt last very long

just thaw them out now - the've had a pretty brutal -18 degrees of frost!