Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trained Deer Dog

Trained Deer Dog

I was looking through the paperwork of the Scottish and English leases and for contracts and night authorisations. It states that you need a trained deer dog. Has any one ever been asked to prove that there dog can find a deer or will FC just take our word for it.If you have been asked what did you need to do eg Criteria.

A friend of mine fronted a bid for a FC lease in Bedfordshire last year and they stated they needed to have or have access to a trained deer dog. When he asked what constituted a trained deer dog they couldn't answer! I think there words were ' don't know, but you need to have one'.....
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Im sure a suitably certified course to prove the dogs ability will soon be available!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wonder how long it will be before it to becomes compulsory, along with dsc1/2, quad, first aid etc,
    JMHO
    Paul
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    I was looking through the paperwork of the Scottish and English leases and for contracts and night authorisations. It states that you need a trained deer dog. Has any one ever been asked to prove that there dog can find a deer or will FC just take our word for it.If you have been asked what did you need to do eg Criteria.
    i did ask that very question 18 months ago at a NGO deer branch Committee meeting, I put it to Norman Healy from the FC who was telling us how the lease system works and what is needed, I did not get a straight answer.
    i am in syndicate who has just won a couple of leases down here and it was part of the bid process to have a trained dog,
    we are meeting someone from the FC again very soon and I will be brining it up, so hopefully may get some sort of answers as to what they see as a trained dog and what sort of standard they thing it should be at.

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

Does it really matter? After all, there are two bodies now that offer this service so surely everybody has access to a trained dog?
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabz View Post
    Does it really matter? After all, there are two bodies now that offer this service so surely everybody has access to a trained dog?
    very true Shabz, I don't know about the UKSHA boys but we(UKDTR) do not have anywhere near enough teams to cover England/Wales at this present time although we hope to have more dogs and handlers who successfully complete there tests at the end on this month.
    maybe in 5 years from now we may have somewhere approaching enough teams from all the tracking groups to give the bear minimum cover, then maybe the FC should look at a standard.

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery

Tony I do not think there is any were near the cover and I am not sure you can wait till something might happen it is written down in Best Practice and is written down in the guide to leasing and contracting so FC should have a standard now and who is to say your standard tony or UKsha meets the required standard set by FC or SNH. Who tests the dogs before they get a lease or a contract .Looks like no one so may be this should be taken out of the paper work altogether.

Drawing a parallel with driven game shooting you will find teams of competent pickers up using dogs that have neither been formally trained nor been entered in field trials. Is there not a danger here that having asked the FC what a trained deer dog is you will now get some sort of formal qualification required, irrespective of whether or not the dog can perform in the field?

atb Tim

Tim the words are already written down in LAW. Dogs: In woodland, a suitable dog must be present to track wounded deer and prevent unnecessary suffering.

Tim the words are already written down in LAW. Dogs: In woodland, a suitable dog must be present to track wounded deer and prevent unnecessary suffering.
    Very true Davie,
    So that means that any dog will do, any dog will find dead deer, and mostly any dog will ttrack if the owner trains it to.
    so where does that leave the FC....?
    I know any dog........!
    As for relating it to game shooting, I have seen many 100's of so called picking up dogs running over bird, eating them, picking one dropping one, the list goes on, hope you got my point...

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery