Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer caliber rifle with the least kick?

Deer caliber rifle with the least kick?

I'm having serve arm and shoulder pain from nerve damage in my neck.
    Bar from stopping stalking altogether what moderated rifle would you recommend that generally kicks the least?
    I have a Mauser 225 in .243 and a Steyr .270 but I'm crippled for 2 days on either gun after a single shot even with morphine painkillers.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you considered using the other shoulder?

Other than that , rifle weight , good mod , or brake , sissy pad , stock shape , recoil pad , inbuilt recoil reducer , download to just achieve deer legal ?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

7X57 HAS A MILD KICK MORE OF A PUSH I'D SAY,ALSO I USE A 6.5X55 SWEDISH IT IS VERY EASY ON THE SHOULDER.

AS SAID EARLIER A SMALLER CALLIBRE IF YOUR SPECIES WILL ALLOW, .223 ect.

Hope you recover soon and or get a suitable rifle.

It's the other shoulder that has the pain issue not the shooting shoulder thank god. Seeing a neurosurgeon at the end of the month then supposed to be on the stags in Scotland the following weekend however I will not be going anywhere if it doesn't improve. Haven't shot for 3 weeks now to give it maximum rest but no improvement.

Remington makes some reduced recoil factory loads for .270 (and other calibers). My son shot his first deer at age twelve with these. That was after some range time to prove his abilities.

I would look at your rifle setup as well. A heavier rifle with a moderator which redirects gas backwards will probably make a big difference.

Regular Poster
    All good suggestions above. Might I suggest that changing your clothing and adding a layer or a thicker jacket may also help, as might one of those gel recoil pads that you strap under your jacket. If you can stretch to it, getting a 'countercoil' type hydraulic shock absorbing system will undoubtedly help, but the cost is high and it needs some substantial work doing to your rifle to fit it. A cheaper option would be a nice thick 'Kickeez' type recoil pad. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery

You are hardly going to find a round that is deer legal (larger species) with less recoil than a .243win so you must have a very severe problem sausageman. If you complain about the mild recoil of the .243 I really can't see any other solution such as moderators, muzzle brakes or recoil pads and added clothing making any significant difference. I would suggest abstaining from shooting until the medics have sorted you out as the shooting is actually only a small part of stalking and your condition can only be worsened by dragging or carrying a carcase.
    If on the other hand you only shoot the smaller species I would say have a look at a .222rem as there is nothing deer legal (CWD, muntjac and roe Scotland only) that has less recoil that I can think of.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

If you can find someone with a Blaser in .243 with a moderator & kickstop fitted that might be worth a try.

atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bullet chucker View Post
    7X57 HAS A MILD KICK MORE OF A PUSH I'D SAY,ALSO I USE A 6.5X55 SWEDISH IT IS VERY EASY ON THE SHOULDER.

AS SAID EARLIER A SMALLER CALLIBRE IF YOUR SPECIES WILL ALLOW, .223 ect.

Hope you recover soon and or get a suitable rifle.
    Agree with this regarding the 7x57 Mauser. I have it in a very lightweight, single shot, break barrel and it's very forgiving in terms of recoil.

And also trust you'll be sorted either way.