Deer caliber rifle with the least kick?

sausage man

I'm having serve arm and shoulder pain from nerve damage in my neck.
Bar from stopping stalking altogether what moderated rifle would you recommend that generally kicks the least?
I have a Mauser 225 in .243 and a Steyr .270 but I'm crippled for 2 days on either gun after a single shot even with morphine painkillers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you considered using the other shoulder?

Other than that , rifle weight , good mod , or brake , sissy pad , stock shape , recoil pad , inbuilt recoil reducer , download to just achieve deer legal ?

7X57 HAS A MILD KICK MORE OF A PUSH I'D SAY,ALSO I USE A 6.5X55 SWEDISH IT IS VERY EASY ON THE SHOULDER.

AS SAID EARLIER A SMALLER CALLIBRE IF YOUR SPECIES WILL ALLOW, .223 ect.

Hope you recover soon and or get a suitable rifle.

It's the other shoulder that has the pain issue not the shooting shoulder thank god. Seeing a neurosurgeon at the end of the month then supposed to be on the stags in Scotland the following weekend however I will not be going anywhere if it doesn't improve. Haven't shot for 3 weeks now to give it maximum rest but no improvement.

Remington makes some reduced recoil factory loads for .270 (and other calibers). My son shot his first deer at age twelve with these. That was after some range time to prove his abilities.

I would look at your rifle setup as well. A heavier rifle with a moderator which redirects gas backwards will probably make a big difference.

All good suggestions above. Might I suggest that changing your clothing and adding a layer or a thicker jacket may also help, as might one of those gel recoil pads that you strap under your jacket. If you can stretch to it, getting a 'countercoil' type hydraulic shock absorbing system will undoubtedly help, but the cost is high and it needs some substantial work doing to your rifle to fit it. A cheaper option would be a nice thick 'Kickeez' type recoil pad. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery

You are hardly going to find a round that is deer legal (larger species) with less recoil than a .243win so you must have a very severe problem sausageman. If you complain about the mild recoil of the .243 I really can't see any other solution such as moderators, muzzle brakes or recoil pads and added clothing making any significant difference. I would suggest abstaining from shooting until the medics have sorted you out as the shooting is actually only a small part of stalking and your condition can only be worsened by dragging or carrying a carcase.
If on the other hand you only shoot the smaller species I would say have a look at a .222rem as there is nothing deer legal (CWD, muntjac and roe Scotland only) that has less recoil that I can think of.

If you can find someone with a Blaser in .243 with a moderator & kickstop fitted that might be worth a try.

atb Tim

7X57 HAS A MILD KICK MORE OF A PUSH I'D SAY,ALSO I USE A 6.5X55 SWEDISH IT IS VERY EASY ON THE SHOULDER.

AS SAID EARLIER A SMALLER CALLIBRE IF YOUR SPECIES WILL ALLOW, .223 ect.

Hope you recover soon and or get a suitable rifle.

Agree with this regarding the 7x57 Mauser. I have it in a very lightweight, single shot, break barrel and it's very forgiving in terms of recoil.

And also trust you'll be sorted either way.

You are hardly going to find a round that is deer legal (larger species) with less recoil than a .243...

I was also struck by the .243 mention in the first post. Are you sure it's the recoil, and not the head/neck position? I also have neck damage and it's just getting down into a prone position and looking up that aggravates mine -- not the actual shot.

I can't use straight-through binoculars to look at comets anymore either. Same problem.

Anyway, just something to consider....

Cheers,
Jeff.

Thanks for all your comments and advice. I think that when you consider the shot is the easy bit then you have gralloching, extraction and then hanging the beast normally Fallow in the chiller before you even skin it the most sensible often is to leave it until I see the surgeon. I have to be patient and look at the long term effects not the short term boredom of present.

Thanks for all your comments and advice. I think that when you consider the shot is the easy bit then you have gralloching, extraction and then hanging the beast normally Fallow in the chiller before you even skin it the most sensible often is to leave it until I see the surgeon. I have to be patient and look at the long term effects not the short term boredom of present.

or try catch and release stalking with a pair of binoculars and a camera. All the fun and none of the hard work and mess.

It terms of shooting, stock fit is the single most important factor in how a rifle feels when under recoil. When I got my 7x65 it was frankly horrible to shoot - stock was too short with a strange angle on the butt plate. It kicked up and hit me above eyebrow with the scope. Added a1" recoil pad, changed the angle of the butt pad and made a lace on leather cheek piece. It's now much more comfortable to shoot. Or a friend had a a short while a short stock Mannlicher 308 carbine - horrible, noisy kicky little thing. He now has a Heym Sr21 that using exactly the same ammo is a real pleasure to shoot.

recoil perception is as much about fit as it is about physics

I had a poorly fitting, lightweight .243 that kicked lumps out of me
I currently have a nice sturdy 300WM, and a well fitting .270 that fit like a gloves and are a joy to shoot
mount the gun standing with both eyes closed and see how far you are off perfect eyeline with the scope/sights

get a gun properly fitted (by someone who knows what they are doing!)
if after that it is still uncomfortable consider a recoil device in the stock
adding weight and dampening will help but finding a calibre with a moderate load in addition might help

dont know how your set up for your stalking if your paying for days out or your own but if its your own ground then maybe start looking at taking on someone who is new to the game and a bit keen, and maybe crack some sort of deal with them if they help you out a couple of times then you let them have one on every second or third go, ok it isnt idea and could cut your stalking in half but half is better than nothing and guiding someone to a deer can be very rewarding especialy if its there 1st

Is your .243 moderated?

If not then take up Tims offer in post #9

Assuming this isn't your livelihood I would book high seat only and go for a heavy rifle with a T12 moderator.

Can you get the 6mmBR to 2810fps with 100 grain bullets? I know the 6br.com website claims it can but are these 'real world' results?
If possible this cartridge would offer an alternative maybe.

Yorkie.

Can you get the 6mmBR to 2810fps with 100 grain bullets? I know the 6br.com website claims it can but are these 'real world' results?
If possible this cartridge would offer an alternative maybe.

Yorkie.

Surely the recoil will be the same whether or not the 100gr 2810fps bullet is launched by 6mmBR or .243Win?

Leastways, that's what Isaac reckoned.

Back