carrying ammunition in a stock sleeve

ash243

i have been asked to make a leather lace up one of these as the customer wants to put it over a comb raiser. How many or you lads carry ammunition stock sleeve what are the pit falls of these i have never used one just wondered what you think would make the best improvements to it

View attachment 92

Last edited:
Pit falls? Not yet convinced that they work 100%. I once lost a few rounds when having the rifle and a deer over the shoulder going back to the car. Also they often tend to rotate and bring the ammo in an awkward position. My last quibble would be how wet the ammo gets when it rains which is very often here.
I like them on my foxing rifle, mostly because we'd be in more civilised terrain.

Edi

Also they often tend to rotate and bring the ammo in an awkward position.
Edi

i think the is why he wants a leather one to stop the rotation

just one more question how many slots would you like considering you have 3 to 5 rounds in the mag how many slots would you like on the sleeve?

Really must get in touch with you and order a couple of slings and cartridge pouches Ash.

I think cartridge loops on a sling and stock look naff. For all we carry around it's easy enough to keep them in a pocket or a belt pouch.

Whenever I see someone with one of those 'sniper' cheekpieces with the bullet loops or a sling with loops crammed with rounds and a massive twiddly nobs scope the alarm bells start ringing - just my view. I know some of the big scopes do sometimes need some kind of extra cheekpiece though.

If you use the Uncle Mikes neoprene one you will not loose any ammo out of the loops.

They become almost a necessity in my view if you have a floor plate mag and as I do cull a lot of fallow. If you have a DM then fine and you can swap mags very quickly.

I always carry spare rounds in a bespoke bullet box (TVM Ash :)). My concern with butt mounted spares would be with the potential for loss or damage. I would be hugely embarrassed if a farmer found a live round, that I had lost, on his ground. "Winning the firefight" with a herd of Fallow wasn't a competency requirement for the DSC2 so I cant comment on their benefit in a rapid reload situation.

I have a BearTooth neoprene comb raiser on one of my rifles and it is perfectly stable - although I've never had to butt stroke a charging Fallow with it.:lol:

Hi Ash

Ive got one on my pro hunter..

Its an elasticated type and never lost a bullet yet..

When pulling it over the stock i made a small nick and use the sling fixing point to anchor it which stops it from rotating..

I recon five slots would be fine..

See you soon mate

Terry

well lads thanks for all the comments here is my interpretation of the product not bad for a mock up model

butsholder3.jpg

butsholder2.jpg

butsholder1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ash,

Like Pheasant Sniper 1, i also have the elastic type on both my Remi 243, & Prohunter 308. both hold 9 rounds
and i've never lost any yet either.
ATB,
mOE..

That'll do the trick there Ash nice work.

I guarantee you wouldn't lose a round out of that set up.

I have a neopren ammo sock on my 308 which can hold 10 rounds if you so wished but i only use 4 of them and a AIM comb raiser with 8 ammo loops on my pig rig which makes for a quick and handy top up to the rifle mag at a busy moment on a hunt.

Bob.

I've got an elasticated one on my T3, and it doesn't twizzle round, and I've never lost any rounds out of it (Sod's law it will happen next time I go out now!!:rolleyes:).

I've only got one mag for my Tikka - if I had a spare to fill, I doubt I'd use it, but it did come in handy for rapidly getting hold of an extra round. (and it wasn't because of the torrent of incoming from well-armed fallow, Bandit Country! :lol: It was for a fox that took us by surprise after having just flattened its buddy.... )

Nice work.
I keep a few cartridges in my pocket and a loaded magazine with the bolt down on an empty chamber. Here, if you need more than that you are either hunting in a petting zoo or very optimistic. ~Muir

Muir

UK hunting is different to US hunting and in the wild with high densities of deer it can get very busy at times.

The customer better be a left hooker or he will end up with earache :cool:

hi Jim it is the mock up not the finished product being a tight ass yorkshireman i cat stand to throw anything away so if i have to make a mock up of something to see if ti works i make it for me and then i can test it and see if it works

heal fest!!!! terry i dont know about losing a round out of yours, we found your with no rounds in it left in sussex on the table:lol:

Bloody hell Andy... :oops::oops:...:lol::lol:

Honesty aint always the best poicy...:lol::lol:

It was soaked so took it off and left it on a rad..

Back on the beast Wadas could hear me purring from his high seat..:lol::lol:

Ive had an elastic one a couple of years, never lost any ammo, its dosent rotate as i have the sling bolt through it.
I have found it very usefull at times, and wouldnt want to be without it.
Like all of ash,s kit it will be well made, I would suggest as many loops as room allows then if the elastic become loose, the remainder can be used.
Come on Mauser66 you know you are in denile and you very very much want one,
You to can look like a ruffian like me.
Leg pulling aside great bit of kit

Back