Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lock Time..

Lock Time..

Met up with a shooting mate yesterday, really great to see him but....all he kept going on about was his 'faster lock time' since he had changed out the Firing pin spring in his L61R..now normally i am happy to listen to folk harping on about guns n stuff, but i was a bit argumentative on this occasion based on the fact that i doubted he could really notice any difference or get any benefit from this modification.

What are the opinions of you lot on this gain of ..00 whatever of a second speed increase?
    Last edited by rick6point5; 08-09-2014 at 11:19. Reason: typo

Maybe the fact that he believes it makes a difference gives him more confidence in his kit, this might make him a better shot than if he was not as confident?

in real terms tho, not sure if it would make bugger all difference.

Quote Originally Posted by rick6point5 View Post
    Met up with a shooting mate yesterday, really great to see him but....all he kept going on about was his 'faster lock time' since he had changed out the Firing pin spring in his L61R..now normally i am happy to listen to folk harping on about guns n stuff, but i was a bit argumentative on this occasion based on the fact that i doubted he could really notice any difference or get any benefit from this modification.

What are the opinions of you lot on this gain of ..00 whatever of a second speed increase?
    Just pat him on the back and say, "Good for you." Most people aren't good enough shots to benefit from that X-thousandths of a second decrease in lock time. (depending on the weapon) If it works for him it's good. Funny thing in the shooting world: If a guy gets hooked on an idea that he thinks is great, and goes to the expense of following thru on it, he then spends a lot of time trying to convince others to take the same path.~Muir

I think I used the phrase..'it's nice to have a semi custom rifle'..and bought him another pint & some peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    If a guy gets hooked on an idea that he thinks is great, and goes to the expense of following thru on it, he then spends a lot of time trying to convince others to take the same path.~Muir
    Emperors new clothes! Especially if he spent lots having it done!

The difficult part is how do you measure the difference in lock times - how do you start & stop the clock?
    As with many things salesmen do try & sell snake oil! - Only the gulable buy it!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    The difficult part is how do you measure the difference in lock times - how do you start & stop the clock?
    As with many things salesmen do try & sell snake oil! - Only the gulable buy it!

Ian
    Ooooh snake oil, how much? Have you got some? Perhaps add it to the thread about bugger all!

If you have really good shooting technique with a good follow through, lock time matters not. However if you are constantly snatching lock time may reduce the effect of the snatch.

What IS lock time?

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    I reckon it would be very easy to measure using a microphone and some audio capture software on a laptop to produce a sort of oscilloscope trace of the clicks and bangs as first the trigger sears break, and finally the firing pin hits. You could measure the barrel time too, lots of possibilities.

There are some clever people doing exactly this when tuning spring powered air rifles, its been published recently in magazines.

By the way, I can easily tell the difference between the long lock time of a lever action rifle with heavy external hammer and lots of travel, compared with a bolt action rifle.

And an RPA feels incredibly snappy, they use strong belleville washers and a very short pin travel, and makes a noticeable difference to the feel.

And a Lee Enfield feels pretty sluggish, they have such a soft spring that you can pull back the cocking piece by hand.

Of course it shouldn't matter if you have good technique and followthrough.