Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: West Mercia think up another twist on AOLQ

West Mercia think up another twist on AOLQ

I'm sure some of you have seen this on facebook. A lad's certificate has come back with the following condition on it:-

"calibres authorised by this certificate may be used for zeroing, deer and any other lawful quarry - except where quarry cannot be shot without a licence issued under wildlife & countryside act 1981 and / or protection of badgers act 1992"

The way I read it, it could stop you shooting anything that is protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, even where a valid licence is in place. For example, it would appear to preclude any use of the mentioned firearms for any avian species, as they can only be shot under the general licences or a specific licence.

Apparently it's to do with the badger cull, and West Mercia trying to stop people shooting badgers without a variation. Why should this be? If the person is within a cull area and is engaged so to do, why should they be further restricted by the police in the lawful use of their own possessions?

ACPO come up with a reasonable idea (AOLQ) and then the individual forces try their best to completely twist it so that it's unworkable. Drives me mad!

Hopefully David BASC will see this. Yet another reason why fees shouldn't rise until they all start using the HO Guidance. Utter clowns.

IIRC someone on here was having trouble with Glos not wanting to issue any conditions with AOLQ a while back. That was something to do with them worrying about the use of firearms during phase 1 of the badger cull.
    Last edited by Orion; 08-09-2014 at 15:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Hopefully David BASC will see this. Yet another reason why fees shouldn't rise until they all start using the HO Guidance. Utter clowns.

IIRC someone on here was having trouble with Glos not wanting to issue any conditions with AOLQ a while back. That was something to do with them worrying about the use of firearms during phase 1 of the badger cull.
    It transpires that the cull contractors could have done with all the help they could get! It is truly ridiculous the way some forces treat certificate holders.

SD Regular
    Matt, I read this differently to you. It means you are not in contravention of the two acts - where an appropriate licence is in place.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Which would make it AOLQ then, wouldn't it? No licence and in contravention of either Act and it's no longer a lawful quarry - so why the need for the cack handed *******isation of the sensible AOLQ condition?

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Yet another reason why fees shouldn't rise until they all start using the HO Guidance.
    Completely agree about the absurd condition: but we must be careful about apparently approving of a rise in certificate fees should the FLDs start doing what they are meant to do.

They should be doing what they're meant to do regardless of the level of fees, as indeed they seem to do in Manchester.

Whether fees go up is and entirely separate matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Matt, I read this differently to you. It means you are not in contravention of the two acts - where an appropriate licence is in place.
    No, I read it the same way as Matt. Is is a hideous mangling of the language with a triple negative. The fact several of us read it in different ways demonstrates what garbage it is. Have these chumps no concept of "plain English" ?

And why oh why do they feel it necessary to indulge in such idiocy ?

If west Mercia are convinced this is an issue in their area then they need to bring a case against an offender and make an example. If someone is wanting to shoot badgers illegally then a few extra words on a bit of paper is not going to stop them.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

My shooting buddy who used to be with Warwickshire, still lives in Warwickshire but now comes under West Mercia now has the exact condition on his FAC.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    No, I read it the same way as Matt. Is is a hideous mangling of the language with a triple negative. The fact several of us read it in different ways demonstrates what garbage it is. Have these chumps no concept of "plain English" ?

And why oh why do they feel it necessary to indulge in such idiocy ?
    +1 Why do they feel the need the need to confuse the issue by adding unnecessary additional wording. The use of the word LAWFUL says it all. If a shooter doesn't know what it is lawful to shoot and under what circumstances then they shouldn't be shooting, simple as that.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.