Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Scottish currency

  1. #1

    Scottish currency

    Just had a thought. If Scotland votes yes and if they have to take on their own currency outside a currency union Scotland won't have a country credit history/ rating so wouldn't the exchange rate fluctuate wildly for the new currency?

    Sooo if it's a yes and if they opt for a their own currency things might start to get quite cheap in Scotland for the rest of us.

    Could be wrong but if it happens it could be good news for stalkers travelling north but bad for scots heading south.

  2. #2
    Do you believe it will only fluctuate in one direction.....?

  3. #3
    its my guess it will go up, north or south
    DONT START

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeydredd View Post
    Do you believe it will only fluctuate in one direction.....?
    It won't be one way and in one direction both the GBP and Scottish currency will be effected. But it's likely their will be a difference between the two currencies only time will tell if it's a yes.

    I believe 1 Gibraltarian pound isn't worth 1 GBP if you go into a bank to change a note.

  5. #5
    Not many scots head south for deer stalking so no real worry,s there. But if you English chaps get a good deal then good on you and you will be welcome!

  6. #6
    I am not the only resident of Scotland who has serious concerns about the matter of currency, which our Dear Leader Alex swerves around at every opportunity. I retired this year, and have a number of small pensions including one from the RAF. At the moment they are paid in £ Sterling, if Scotland goes independent then they will still be paid in £ Sterling but at some point will have to be changed into Groats, Bawbies, Salmonds or whatever. Exchange rates usually disadvantage someone, very likely the individual in my situation. IF the goalposts don't move again I should be due a State pension because I've been paying National Insurance for 47 bloody years. IF I get aforesaid pension, will I and many in my position get any increases, or will we be in the position of many UK expats and find pensions are frozen at the value they were when first paid?

    Alternatively, will some jobsworth within whatever system I will be at the mercy of assess my status, declare that my hard earned private, military and company pensions are in excess of the Guaranteed Minimum Pension and tell me to piss off?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Just had a thought. If Scotland votes yes and if they have to take on their own currency outside a currency union Scotland won't have a country credit history/ rating so wouldn't the exchange rate fluctuate wildly for the new currency?

    Sooo if it's a yes and if they opt for a their own currency things might start to get quite cheap in Scotland for the rest of us.

    Could be wrong but if it happens it could be good news for stalkers travelling north but bad for scots heading south.
    I'm not an economist, but Scotland I think would have to have it's own 'Bank of Scotland' with gold reserves/GDP to back it up for it's currency trading and likely as not, as Scotland doesn't have its own triple A credit rating my guess is prices will go up rather than down.
    Not to mention that following the possibility of a 'Yes' vote at the polls, it will take a few years before Independence is actually gained. Then It would have to set its own VAT rate and trade would be 'as in any other country' so exports from England to Scotland would be VAT exempt and applied at whatever rate the Scottish Government decides.
    Meantime, the SNP does all it can to remove private ownership of firearms and divide ownership of private estates among the masses, while employing hunters to keep control of the deer/wildlife.
    Bad for anyone thinking of going to Scotland stalking and worse for Scots travelling South
    Things that make you go Hmmmmmm

    As an aside: I had two Scottish customers phone today and ask if our company would still supply and in what currency should they pay after the Yes win. I told them the safest option is to stock up NOW & pay before the prices rise! LOL
    Last edited by deeangeo; 09-09-2014 at 00:34.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

  8. #8
    Unless the new currency is protected somehow, the sharks will trade it up n down just so they can scalp a bit here and there, they won't care as long as a profit is being made.

  9. #9
    Is the plural of haggis haggi?
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapinschaw View Post
    I am not the only resident of Scotland who has serious concerns about the matter of currency, which our Dear Leader Alex swerves around at every opportunity. I retired this year, and have a number of small pensions including one from the RAF. At the moment they are paid in £ Sterling, if Scotland goes independent then they will still be paid in £ Sterling but at some point will have to be changed into Groats, Bawbies, Salmonds or whatever. Exchange rates usually disadvantage someone, very likely the individual in my situation. IF the goalposts don't move again I should be due a State pension because I've been paying National Insurance for 47 bloody years. IF I get aforesaid pension, will I and many in my position get any increases, or will we be in the position of many UK expats and find pensions are frozen at the value they were when first paid?

    Alternatively, will some jobsworth within whatever system I will be at the mercy of assess my status, declare that my hard earned private, military and company pensions are in excess of the Guaranteed Minimum Pension and tell me to piss off?





    Did you not hear?

    The currency issue is sorted !







    It'll be fine.




    Steve.

Similar Threads

  1. Scottish Borders
    By Tam16 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 27-12-2011, 16:31
  2. Scottish army
    By limulus in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 22:02
  3. Scottish Gunsmiths?
    By skippy1001 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-12-2010, 21:49
  4. Hello From the Scottish Borders!
    By Slaine in forum Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-09-2010, 12:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •