Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm-08 for boar

7mm-08 for boar

I have a trip booked for driven boar and would like to use my 7mm-08 but am struggling to find an heavier bullet than 150 grain in factory ammo. Can anyone advise on a make of factory ammo suitable for boar or recommend a reload combination.

Thanks DS
    Last edited by DEER STALKER; 08-09-2014 at 20:07.

Quote Originally Posted by DEER STALKER View Post
    I have a trip booked for the boar and would like to use my 7mm-08 but am struggling to find an heavier bullet than 150 grain in factory ammo. Can anyone advise on a make of factory ammo suitable for boar or recommend a reload combination.

Thanks DS
    i used Federal 150gn PowerShok with success in a 7-08, I've also used 160gn Accubonds in a 275rigby. It's all about shot placement .

Good Luck .

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka 260 View Post
    i used Federal 150gn PowerShok with success in a 7-08, I've also used 160gn Accubonds in a 275rigby. It's all about shot placement .

Good Luck .
    Good advice. Either will work provided the bullet is of good construction. Shot placement is paramount regardless of caliber/cartridge.

I'd just shoot any decent 150gr load and call it good.

We are all too keen to examine our navels when it comes to these issues.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I know it will do the job fine, however it may be wise to confirm with your hunt organiser, as some EU countries have a min of 10g (154grains) on the boar.

Have a read on Nathan Forsters research pages, Terminal Ballistics Research I'm sure he will have covered the subject thoroughly to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    Have a read on Nathan Forsters research pages, Terminal Ballistics Research I'm sure he will have covered the subject thoroughly to say the least.
    Just keep in mind that this website is not the "final word" on terminal ballistics. Many of his assumptions are simply that, assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian1 View Post
    Just keep in mind that this website is not the "final word" on terminal ballistics. Many of his assumptions are simply that, assumptions.
    Quite agree!

Quote Originally Posted by DEER STALKER View Post
    I have a trip booked for driven boar and would like to use my 7mm-08 but am struggling to find an heavier bullet than 150 grain in factory ammo. Can anyone advise on a make of factory ammo suitable for boar or recommend a reload combination.

Thanks DS
    Had a 7mm-08 for a few years now and never seen anything bigger than 150gr in Factory ammo.
    If you reload 160gr Sierra GK SPBT can work well in the 7mm-08 and are fairly accurate.

A 175 grain RN. If that won't stop them climb a tree! ~Muir