Thread: Bell and Carlson stock

Bell and Carlson stock

I recently purchased a B&C stock for my Howa 1500, the action dropped straight in but I noticed there are two raised sections in the forend that the barrel seems to sit on, and from the small amount of research I have done its meant to be like that?

I just wondered if anyone else had one? And is it worth free floating the barrel or just leave it how it is?

thanks in advance for your help

In the work shop we normally remove the two pressure pads for the contractor rifles and for the custom models we build on Howa actions and B&C stocks. WE prefer to float the barrel. However it must be noted that we bed the actions into the stocks and ensure that the barrel is centred and correctly floated when we do so. I hope that is f help to you, Yours respectfully Mike Norris Brock and Norris Custom Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by brock and norris View Post
    In the work shop we normally remove the two pressure pads for the contractor rifles and for the custom models we build on Howa actions and B&C stocks. WE prefer to float the barrel. However it must be noted that we bed the actions into the stocks and ensure that the barrel is centred and correctly floated when we do so. I hope that is f help to you, Yours respectfully Mike Norris Brock and Norris Custom Rifles
    Thanks for the help Mike. I'll see how it goes leaving the pads in and then I'll go from there. It just seemed weird that the barrel wasnt free floating.

thanks again

Mat

My take is a proper precision hunting rifle should be free floated in such a way that under no shooting position the barrel touches the stock in the barrel channel. This means stocks with more "flex" need a bigger barrel channel.
    In your case it would mean one could bed the rifle with the two raised section to help centre the barrel and after curing remove the sections. Check the gap even when loading forend.
    No point in trying to shoot a half built rifle....you don't test drive a car with three wheels on either....
    edi

Well I shot it at Bisley at the weekend and it did ok, but I know it can do better so I think Im going to remove the two pads...

I'll let you know how it goes.