Change of Ammunition

Jinga

As a relative newcomer I have just learned a key lesson. Accuracy is not all! I shoot a T3 Hunter .270 and switched to Hornady Interlock/SSTs. Single hole groups bang on at 100m were the norm and a 1 inch group was an off day! :cool:

I have recently started to shoot more Roe than Red and have been appalled by the damage. :cry: :cry: I am looking to return to either Soft Point or a partition head. This is in danger of re-igniting the BT v SP debate which is not the intention! This is more of a plea for comment on accuracy v damage of the different options available.

I am keen to hear any views about any brands, even the smart looking Federal Trophy Bonded tip - http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=770

I am keen to shoot 1 bullet for all stalking (Roe and Red) and so 130 gr maybe a bit big for Roe but has the required punch for large stags.

Many thanks!

The other option is to use a heavier bullet at slower speeds.

I used a 140gr Interlock for years at moderate speed, load was 51.5gr of N160. I have shot munties with this without undue carcass damage.

This was my working load out of my Carl Gustaf .270 but loaded with the 140gr Hornady Spire-point it prints about one inch higher on the target.
Carcase damage to all species was acceptable to game-dealers.
HWH.
270loadforCGjpg.jpg

Guys

Many thanks, keep it coming. I am keen to go for a partition type of round but open to ideas.

I use Speer, Sierra and Hornady 130gr soft points for .270. The Speer Spitzer 130gr was a particular favourite. They are fine on roe when loaded at circa 2750/2800 fps muzzle velocity, so under the normal factory velocities. You might want to look at reducing the velocity a tad and see if that helps your rounds behave.

Partitions are way too expensive for me and haven't been back to them since issues with them in .243.

Guys

Many thanks, keep it coming. I am keen to go for a partition type of round but open to ideas.

Jinga, going for a Partition will do nothing to reduce carcass damage on a small deer. The Partition is designed to blow off the front half of the bullet, while the back half ploughs on through, damage can be big.

A good quality cup and core bullet at sensible speeds will kill any deer ever born.

If you must have a premium bullet, think about something like an A Frame, or maybe an Accubond.

Nosler Partitions in all calibres are designed to mushroom at the front end, not to blow off, or up, this blowing off or up of the front end or the complete round is descriptive of Varmint or "Frangible" rounds. Steve.

It wasn't that my Partitions in .243 blew apart, it was that they didn't open up at all, but drilled straight through reds. I can only imagine that the core had hardened for some reason. Also they didn't group well for me in that rifle at the time. hey ho... :)

Steve, if you ever manage to retreive a fired partition, you will often find they have lost 20-30% of their starting weight.

I am reloader normally use hornady boat tail dealer had ran out so tried hornady interlock, found them to be to passing right through roe, roe were running up to 100 yards before dropping, just clean hole entry and exit with no damage, I won't use them again maybe I just got a bad batch I dont know. [oh this was in .243]

Sierra 130gr pro hunters for me. See the pics in the wild boar section if you need evidence that they work
icon7.png
Ive used them on everything they seem to be o.k
Cheers sean

Back