Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mushrooms

Mushrooms

It's that time of year again where the mushrooms are popping up everywhere. I've always been interested in picking my own, read loads of books etc, but have lacked the confidence to try eating. The only one I'm really confident with is the giant puffball - very nice.
    However today I've just found a load of what I think are either field or horse mushrooms (both edible). Just wondering if anyone out there knows of a poisonous / toxic variety that resembles the above?
    I'll post some pictures later
    Wingy.
    unless you can prove it beyond all reasonable doubt, it wasn't me. If you can prove it then you must be mistaken

Try peeling the skin off, if it peels its edible

Quote Originally Posted by ELMER FUDD View Post
    Try peeling the skin off, if it peels its edible
    Don't use a spud peeler though or you might get false results!
    I too often see mushrooms growing and think "I wish I knew whether I could eat that" but like Wingy I don't have the confidence to try anything in case I'm horribly wrong.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

I know about half a dozen that I am confident in eating and tbh there are very few that resemble the edibles that can do you much harm other than a dose of the squits!!

Shaggy Ink Cap
    Penny Bun
    Field mushroom
    Horse mushroom
    Parasol
    St Georges
    Giant puffball (although you rarely see these round here now!)

Get the Collins 'Food for Free' by Mabey. Follow the guidelines and you'll be fine. Also only try a tiny sample of each you pick 1st as even though they are edible, you may still have a reaction to a wild mushroom.

The ones that I am always dubious about and have yet to have the courage to try are fairy ring champignon as they do look like many other small shrooms!!

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

I've found having the 'Rogers Mushrooms' app on my iPhone makes an ID in the field easier.

That's a great app cheers just downloaded it
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	671.6 KB 
ID:	46717Click image for larger version. 

Views:	47 
Size:	458.2 KB 
ID:	46716Click image for larger version. 

Views:	45 
Size:	389.9 KB 
ID:	46718

Pictures of the mushrooms.
    1 with key to show scale
    2 one of the smaller ones not quite open
    3 one of the larger ones more brown underneath
    are they field / horse mushroom?
    unless you can prove it beyond all reasonable doubt, it wasn't me. If you can prove it then you must be mistaken

Looks like a field or horse, cut it does it bleed yellow? If so its a yellow stainer and should be avoided. Some of the most poisonous are peelable!

Quote Originally Posted by mattmck View Post
    Looks like a field or horse, cut it does it bleed yellow? If so its a yellow stainer and should be avoided. Some of the most poisonous are peelable!
    Thanks, I'd forgot about the yellow stainer - just checked and they don't bleed yellow.
    Looks like mushroom on toast for breakfast, see how I'm feeling by dinner time

Fungi.

We've had some great parasols.

WARNING: gratuitous fungi pics:

They are delicious but some people get bad guts or vomiting from these and many other "edible" species.

Remember- some are toxic until well cooked, or interact with other things like alcohol.

Some of the most dangerous are, apparently, delicious and look innocuous: "Young" Amanita phalloides (death cap) can be mistaken for edible species before the veil has separated; Amanita poisoning is a cruel death.

Mabey's and Roger Phillip's books are helpful but won't make you infallible!

Leaving the cap overnight on a piece of paper will yield a spore print:

You can collect the spores; examining them with your handy microscope can aid identification, apparently!

Enjoy, but if in doubt, don't eat.