Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: German wirehaired or wirehaired Vizsla

German wirehaired or wirehaired Vizsla

I'm doing a bit of research for the future and hoped that maybe some of you may have first hand experience of both breeds.

I have a Hungarian wire haired Vizsla for nearly 12 years now, unfortunately she didn't really make the grade as a gun dog, but she is a fantastic every other way.
    My only reservation with the breed from my limited experience has been that they seem a bit soft and clingy (nickname Velcro), lacking that bit of drive needed for a hunting dog, that is not to say that the hunt instinct isn't there, it just takes a lot to stimulate it. When I bought her there was not a true distinction between the show and working lines, but she came from more a show home.
    So 12years on and I still do not know how good a deer dog they can be ?

this brought me to consider some other breeds,

A few friends have the German Wirehaired Pointers, at first glance, the breed seems to tick all the boxes from a deer hunters point of view.
    I had heard of the odd sharp German short haired but didn't know much about the wire haired.
    Then a bit more searching on the GWP and I read about their love of cats, occasional fighting possibly killing other pets!!
    I fully appreciate the need for controlled aggression and bravery if a dog is to go toe to toe with a injured Red Stag. But I would hope that they could keep a lid on it.

I'm aware that you can get a bad one in any breed and more often than not it is the owner who is the problem rather than the dog.
    With a small person at home I would rather avoid the problem than have to deal with it. What I have read may not be the case so would welcome your opinions and advice.
    thanks
    Last edited by huntsman; 09-09-2014 at 12:42.

Quote Originally Posted by huntsman View Post
    I'm doing a bit of research for the future and hoped that maybe some of you may have first hand experience of both breeds.

I have a Hungarian wire haired Vizsla for nearly 12 years now, unfortunately she didn't really make the grade as a gun dog, but she is a fantastic every other way.
    My only reservation with the breed from my limited experience has been that they seem a bit soft and clingy (nickname Velcro), lacking that bit of drive needed for a hunting dog, that is not to say that the hunt instinct isn't there, it just takes a lot to stimulate it. When I bought her there was not a true distinction between the show and working lines, but she came from more a show home.
    So 12years on and I still do not know how good a deer dog they can be ?

this brought me to consider some other breeds,

A few friends have the German Wirehaired Pointers, at first glance, the breed seems to tick all the boxes from a deer hunters point of view.
    I had heard of the odd sharp German short haired but didn't know much about the wire haired.
    Then a bit more searching on the GWP and I read about their love of cats, occasional fighting possibly killing other pets!!
    I fully appreciate the need for controlled aggression and bravery if a dog is to go toe to toe with a injured Red Stag. But I would hope that they could keep a lid on it.

I'm aware that you can get a bad one in any breed and more often than not it is the owner who is the problem rather than the dog.
    With a small person at home I would rather avoid the problem than have to deal with it. What I have read may not be the case so would welcome your opinions and advice.
    thanks
    I don't know enough about either to answer all your point, I have Large Munsterlanders, but I do compete a bit with my LM's and see a lot of GWP and HWV and for me the HWV is a all round nicer dog, and from what I am seeing, a lot of drive to hunt as well.

If its deer only a bmh great dogs all round and v good with children. I have gsp great dog but hates cats with a passion but have not heard it to be a gwp problem though. A sharp "sit" command glues mines ofarse to the ground though. Once trained he has stayed trained though absolutely hates been in trouble more than he hates cats! Give them an inch though and they will quite literally run a mile.......He is excellent with children but not to small,ore than 5 I would suggest.

I have never owned a wirehaired vizsla but I regularly shoot on HPR trials and have never seen an outstanding one. Of course, these trials are mainly for birds and ground game.

I do, however, own a GWP. When he was 18 months old I thought he was the worst mistake i'd ever made with a dog. I wouldn't part with him for the world now. He follows a blood trail and can pull down a sika hind and hold her until i arrive. I pick-up 35 days a year with him, take him rough shooting and fowling. He is a fantastic worker but a lovely, affectionate dog too. I quite often go out into the garden and find my kids have dressed him up!

He doesnt chase cats because I trained him not to and I can stop him on a whistle if he should take off after a deer when he hasn't been commanded to. It took a lot of work to get him to this standard but I will definately get another when he's too old to work. I will always have labradors too!

I have a 2 year old HWV dog from good working stock (Julian Apps) having only had Labs and Cockers before.

He is without doubt the neediest dog I have ever had the pleasure of looking after, velcro - yes. Heard someone say once that you didn't own a Vizsla, you wore it, which is about right.

When he was 14/15 months we did 2 sessions of 2 days walked up grouse and a week on the Stags. I was gobsmacked. By day 2 on the grouse he knew what he was doing and on the second 2 days we shot 21 brace over him - just 2 guns and me with the mutt. First day on the deer he was a bit spooked, but by day 5 he was getting pretty useful. It's stunning sport.

I have been working hard on him since the season closed and am about to set off on the grouse and the deer again. Hopefully he will be even better. When he is asked to hunt grouse and range wide, that's what he does. When i pick up a rifle and go after the deer he stays close. He hasn't matured completely yet and still acts the petulant teenager from time to time, but he's soft and really easy to discipline.

I can assure you it's not my wonderful training techniques, the labs and cockers were no better than average (but all lovely of course!).

I am chuffed to bits with him in the field and the family love him in the house. Couldn't recommend them highly enough. He does need to be kept occupied however, and for the first 18 months was prone to howling the place down if you left him alone!

Don't know many GWP's. I too considered them before I got the Vizsla but reading various reports and anecdotes about them decided you probably needed to be a full time stalker/keeper to have one (or spend a lot of time stalking), which I am not.

Hope that helps,

Nigel
    So much to learn and so little time left

Thanks you all for the advice , nothing too damming so far, I feel I have made a start now, so plenty of research and homework to follow.
    At most I'll get out for a few hours twice a week so I hadn't really considered the specialized hound breeds as I thought that they would need more out time than I had to offer. But we won't dismiss anything for the moment.

I also have a 5yo Lab, that is trial bred, but is really very hot, enough drive for 2 or 3 dogs, so will continue to work with (at?) her for the moment.

Thanks again
    Last edited by huntsman; 10-09-2014 at 10:13.

Quote Originally Posted by huntsman View Post
    Thanks you all for the advice , nothing too damming so far, I feel I have made a start now, so plenty of research and homework to follow.
    At most I'll get out for a few hours twice a week so I hadn't really considered the specialized hound breeds as I thought that they would need more out time than I had to offer. But we won't dismiss anything for the moment.

I also have a 5yo Lab, that is trial bred, but is really very hot, enough drive for 2 or 3 dogs, so will continue to work with (at?) her for the moment.

Thanks again
    Hi Huntsman.

Following on from Pip`s response, I own a 14 month GWP dog, and can relate to the `worst mistake` comment.... My young dog is so keen to please, very affectionate, and loyal beyond doubt....... But STUBBORN is an understatement, and I can get blood from a stone far easier...... HOWEVER, he is intelligent, fun, soft mouthed on anything feathered, but very hard on cats, foxes, and deer ( training is for deer work only with the odd feathered accident ). If I see the cat first, then I win, and can stop him with voice or whistle, but if I don`t spot the cat first, then he is a devious git to get it.... Foxes awesome... Deer, tracking is coming on very well, but he will not be released on a live deer for a while yet - the fact that at 14 months, he can bring a dead roe buck back with him speaks volumes about his strength, and drive... When track training he gets to rag a deer skin, or bay for a head.... and took to this naturally... He is immensely strong, and we do have a good tug between us.... This is his reward, and I think he will have no issues if he ever gets put on a wounded animal - but experience is more important to me at the moment...

Training and exposure to the wider world is everything, and wiser people than me have been correct... He went to puppy classes 8-12 weeks, and is brilliant with every dog we have met - no aggression whastsoever. I also used to sit him on a path between 2 primary schools to get used to noisy, fast, excited little children - not jumping, whining, but lots of petting... he is now bombproof with children - although I would never leave him alone with one....

In short, he is the best dog I have ever owned, but there is a long way to grow, train and develop.... I think in 10 months to 1 years time, he will be a very good dog ( like Pip - you get out what you put in )... Compared to my lab who is 5, he is very slow to mature, and really time consuming to train - more than I would have believed.... I spent a lot of time researching this breed, as I always wanted a GWP, but the reality is the ride is not for the faint hearted, although it is fun....

Good luck with your choice.

Neil.

I made a video of my GWP,

she's not particularly anything special (her delivery isn't brilliant) but she's a decent biddable dog that has no problems with other dogs and has never shown any aggression toward anything but foxes (the fox in this video was the first one she had ever seen) and cats.
    Last edited by Shabz; 11-09-2014 at 09:56.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

I have a 18 month old Male HWV and yes you do not own them you wear them.
    Saying that we have attended gundog training classes and he is one of the boldest dogs in the HPR class, his air scenting has to be seen to be believed.
    His mother is a Hungarian import which may account for some of the boldness, (from the Zoldmali Kennel)
    I hope eventually to have him trained on deer but unfortunately due to an out of control collie his training took a major setback when he was biten through his cheek.
    There is a good write up on an HWV as a deer dog in "HWV A dog for all reasons"

Quote Originally Posted by Shabz View Post
    I made a video of my GWP,

she's not particularly anything special (her delivery isn't brilliant) but she's a decent biddable dog that has no problems with other dogs and has never shown any aggression toward anything but foxes (the fox in this video was the first one she had ever seen) and cats.

Great video, your dog comes from good breeding.