Thread: .223 bullet head Muntjac

.223 bullet head Muntjac

Hi, can anyone recommend a good expanding bullet head for Muntjac in .224 (.223 ) in 50 grain that has good penertration and contolled expansion for Muntjac. My current loads are for Charlie using using 50 grain Sierra Blitzkings @ 3100 fps which I dont wont to use on Muntjac as I reckon will be to explosive and either wont penertrate enough and/or be to explosive.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I use 55grn Siera Gamekings out of my 22-250 with excellent results! Not sure how they would perform from your 223. Maybe worth loading up a handful to try if you can get hold of a few from someone local.

ATB

Tom

I will be using 70grn speer soft points on roe, d0idnt want to use a 55grn as Im just not happy with a light load. Spoke to the guy from Sephtons near me who is a "guru" for loading in our area and he says getting them in at around 2750fps should be rock and roll.

They drop a roe, they will drop a munty.

If you intend to use the heavier bullets in the .223 ensure the barrel twist is fast enough. You will need around a 1 in 8 for 70gr. I used the sako gamehead 55gr to good effect in .223.

hi for those of you that did not see this i t took me a bit to did it out for you it is from the shooting times 20th of Jan 2010 223 for deer please have a look and read it it is a good article buy Bruce Potts

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nq0kkzocmii/223.pdf

hope this helps some of you

I can second the 55gr sako gamehead.
    The factory ammo is loaded very hot and shot well under 1/2" out of my CZ.
    Bullet performance on over hundred foxes I shot was so much more reliable than any other bullet I used in any 22 cal. This is a cartridge designed for European roe shooting, slightly less explosive and slightly higher penetration. We don't have roe so I couldn't try it.

edi

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    Hi, can anyone recommend a good expanding bullet head for Muntjac in .224 (.223 ) in 50 grain that has good penertration and contolled expansion for Muntjac. My current loads are for Charlie using using 50 grain Sierra Blitzkings @ 3100 fps which I dont wont to use on Muntjac as I reckon will be to explosive and either wont penertrate enough and/or be to explosive.

Peter

Lots of views no doubt but a 55g SP PRVI does the job, as frankly would almost anything on a Muntjac!!

This CONTROLLED expansion has fascinated me, has this ever been tested or defined definatively anywhere?????!!

Yep, a Blitzking works very well on a Deer, you won't find any running very far after one of those, but you may well find the meat tends to be spread around a few counties!!