Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22-250 factory load for Scottish Roe

22-250 factory load for Scottish Roe

Hi all.
    As above looking for advice on factory load for Scottish Roe with new 22/250. Rifle is zeroed and tried a few that the local RFD had. Just on paper targets. Remmies and Federal in 55gr soft point and Hornady 55gr v/max. It loved the v/max but not sure about them on the Roe, I've no experience with them. I've used the 95gr SST's through my 243 to good affect but really like the new to me caliber 22/250 and want to give it a try. The Federals weren't far behind but it's not keen on the Remmies. (This is just accuracy I'm talking here and would need advice on knock down too as paper doesn't give this info). I've some Sako 55gr game heads to try when I get time. Am I right sticking with 55gr or can the 50gr of any brand do the job I'm after. At the moment I've not got the time for home loads so factory only. Any advice greatly received...
    Thanks in advance..
    Last edited by cjs66; 09-09-2014 at 20:43.

I use 50gr v-max in my 223 and have nothing bad to say about it so far but most of the shooting with this is close woodlands.

I would stick to 55gr for the 22-250 and would say the sako's are the way to go if your rifle likes them.

Andy7mm
    "Amazing things can happen when preparation meet opportunity" Richard Schatz

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Hi Andy7mm.
    Thanks for the swift reply mate. Yeah I'm woodland too. I'd say max out to 200 from high seat but much closer when your being sneaky. Lol. Are you neck shooting only with the v/max or can you say boiler is good also? We all hate the thought of a non fatal shot.

SD Regular
    50gr VMax do the job extremely well - as do Sako 50gr soft point (Gamehead?). The latter are very good value and the brass excellent for reloading (made by Norma) as and when you're ready.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

cjs,

Most have been head/neck ( prefered shot when I can) but I have had no issue with runners from the v-max, one of note but it was a buck mid rut and he made it about 40 yards. It left a good blood trail and the 10-15 yards I could see him I knew he was dead it was just the adrenaline keeping him going but as with all shooting its all about shot placement.

Andy7mm
    "Amazing things can happen when preparation meet opportunity" Richard Schatz

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Seeing how much the 50-55g Vmax blow up on foxes at 3700f/s I think I would tend to steer towards a 55-60g SP at the ranges you are talking of.

Cheers lads, appreciate the response.

cjs

I can't go past 55gr Sako Gameheads in my 22-250, excellent round for Roe Deer.

Hi mj robson,
    that's some cracking photos you've got on flickr. I've tried the Sako's and my rifle seems to tike them but I can't get them local at the moment. I've asked my RFD if he can get hold of them so fingers crossed. How much do you pay for a box of 20 up there?

Cjs have you tried bagnall and kirkwood in the toon
    Atb TomTom