Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To clean or not to clean ?

To clean or not to clean ?

During the winter I tend to shoot a fox every four days from the Velux in the attic. I have an alarm set up over a chicken carcass which gives me a proximity alarm and I go up to the attic and pop off the fox (I do miss sometimes however). I used to exhaustively clean the rifle after every night's shot but I wonder if I maybe eroding the bore or causing some harm by excessive cleaning. What harm would I be doing to just leave it and clean once a month after 4 or 5 shots? The attic is very dry. The rifle is a stainless steel Tikka and is v accurate but takes 3 shots before it starts to group with 5 shots under 1/2 inch at 100 meters with reloads.

While I am a bit of a stickler for cleaning my rifles I would say that you are probably doing more harm than good. If it were me in your situation I would only clean the rifle when necessary, say after 10-15 shots but that is only my opinion.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

From those more in the know than I - can you really cause that much damage to the rifling from cleaning with a brush? Fair enough if grit gets caught on it but it would surely take an awful lot of scrubbing before any damage was done. Also surely the brush would erode faster than the bore as its made of softer material? I only properly scrub out a bore after maybe every 30 shots or so which could be over the year (gets a patch through every couple of shots just to remove the majority of black fouling).

Has anyone actually scrubbed a rifle barrel to death?

Once a year if they need it or not or on the odd sat in the winter when it's pissing it down and I'm not out on a shoot somewhere .
    given a good wipe down after each use and allowed to dry if soaked but Xmas and birthdays is fine in my experience .
    Ps it would take a while to do my expanding collection too !

Quote Originally Posted by rodkayak View Post
    During the winter I tend to shoot a fox every four days from the Velux in the attic. I have an alarm set up over a chicken carcass which gives me a proximity alarm and I go up to the attic and pop off the fox (I do miss sometimes however). I used to exhaustively clean the rifle after every night's shot but I wonder if I maybe eroding the bore or causing some harm by excessive cleaning. What harm would I be doing to just leave it and clean once a month after 4 or 5 shots? The attic is very dry. The rifle is a stainless steel Tikka and is v accurate but takes 3 shots before it starts to group with 5 shots under 1/2 inch at 100 meters with reloads.
    Don't forget that the marketing men would like you to buy all the peripheral products as it guarantees them a long-term sustainable income stream. All this advice to use gun-oil X and gunbore-clean-Y is, of course, partly so you part with your money and line their pockets, long after you have purchased the main product, a rifle. A Stainless Steel barrel needs very little maintenance and cleaning - that is the 'selling point' when you buy it, and that benefit doesn't suddenly disappear after you have bought it. A bore-snake pull-through ever so now and than is all it will ever need. (unless you shoot dozens of rounds each week on a range)
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

watch this guy's video, he gives, in detail, the how, why and when, he also has other video's which have a lot of good info. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by rodkayak View Post
    v accurate but takes 3 shots before it starts to group
    answered your own question there if you ask me
    3 shots is not a dirty barrel

I don't clean mine other than a pull through to remove residue and/or a light oil after removing water/drying, until it has at least 20 or so shots through it

Centrefire every 10 years
    Rimfire every 20 years
    Shotgun every time I use it

Quote Originally Posted by geordieh View Post
    Centrefire every 10 years
    Rimfire every 20 years
    Shotgun every time I use it
    That's about my schedule, too! ~Muir