Shooting insurance

plonker

Evening all,just wondering if anyone knows of a good deal for a group insurance.were with ca but they want £50 each per member(14 in our group).We are friends who do a small shoot for ourselves and also individually shoot shotgun and rifles.
cheers all
Dave

Our syndicate insists all members join the BASC syndicate type cover which not only covers you but beaters, flagmen and all 3rd party interests. We had an incident ten years ago where five breeding ewes got into a pen and ate wheat. A vet was called and he saved two and BASC paid up... Ask your insurer what is actually covered and you will find the BASC scheme covers all eventualities. (£59) each.

Our syndicate insists all members join the BASC syndicate type cover which not only covers you but beaters, flagmen and all 3rd party interests. We had an incident ten years ago where five breeding ewes got into a pen and ate wheat. A vet was called and he saved two and BASC paid up... Ask your insurer what is actually covered and you will find the BASC scheme covers all eventualities. (£59) each.

Ditto. BASC are excellent when there's an issue. Regards JCS

I have been looking into this for a group I help with and BASC seems to offer the most comprehensive policy that covers visitors to the shoot, work parties, committee members etc if a claim were to be made against the syndicate as a whole. A lot of the other policies cover the individual who is shooting but not the syndicate itself. Truly a case of reading the small print!!

+1 for BASC as not only do they provide better insurance they are also acting as a pressure group on behalf of all shooters.

Mulac

SACS changed their underwriters last year and the policy is now rather different from what it was.

There is now an excess on claims, it has become a policy of last resort, it no longer covers foreign trips, it no longer covers FAC application appeals (SACS will still assist but using its own funds).

I think it is a rather diminished policy, compared with the original.

I renewed with SACS this year, but will be reviewing my choice next time.

Yes, read the policy summary or full policy wording, it clearly says that cover is provided 'if not covered by any other insurance' and there is a £250 excess on all property damage claims

Yes.

If it ever was (I never had sight of the previous policy conditions to satisfy myself, and I don't think SACS themselves ever made any direct statement one way or the other).

Likewise the new membership card no longer states "UK members are covered anywhere in the world while on holiday".

The change of insurance provider was announced in last winter's newsletter, which included a leaflet detailing the new policy terms.

Staying with the original provider would have required a large increase in fees, which would have had to be passed on to members.

But best you check with SACS directly, and let us know the reply.

Some BASC policies i don't agree with but their legal team fought a miscarriage of justice inflicted on three of my shooting friends to the tune of £55,000 and won their case and had they lost the case was going to the European court of appeal.
Would your current insurer even reply to your call?

Back