Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barr & Stroud 8x56 Savannah ED / 8x42 series 4 ED

Established Poster

Barr & Stroud 8x56 Savannah ED / 8x42 series 4 ED

Hi All

I'm after some relatively inexpensive binos, after a fair bit of reading up I've decided that life would simply be impossible without ED lenses (despite me not evening knowing what these were a week ago).

Now the minox binos seem widely acknowledged as the 'best of the rest' behind the big three. But they don't produce any in the 200ish bracket with ED lenses.

I looked at the Bushnell legend ultra, which do appear great if a little beyond the 200 mark. I also looked at the Barr and Stroud 8x42 (series 4 are available for 149 on Amazon). Reviews are limited but generally positive, I then saw that they have their Savanna range in 8x56 for 177... This seems a very good deal for optical lenses in a size that you would assume would take in a lot of light at dusk and dawn.

Has anyone experience of these binos, or am I oversimplifying things and should just stick with their higher range series 4 in 8x42 or go for the Bushnell?

Many thanks in advance

Tom

Tom - be careful. I'm not at all convinced about the ED thing. A friend of mine has some leica bins, which were replaced with the newer model with ED glass, and he still has the originals. None of us can see any difference, at all, under any light conditions. About 20 of us tried them on a shoot day recently. Result - not one could tell the difference. I'm not saying that there isn't some kind of technical differences, there may well be, but I personally would have been miffed to have shelled out a lot of extra cash for it. Just look through some and see if it's worth it to you first, that's all.

Ive just bought a pair of Barr & Stroud 10x42 Sahara bino's,67.00 , wanted a pair of cheapo's for the truck as they tend to get knocked about a bit , first time out with them yesterday , very clear and sharp image, low light not bad but i didn't try them in really low light as i moved to the thermal , was rabbiting ,They come with a limited ten year warranty , whatever that's worth, if they last me 3-4 years for the price I wont complain.

I have the savannas in ED and find them very good. They are extremely crisp and clear and are great at dusk, I find them excellent value for money.

Established Poster
    Thanks all, it's reassuring to know that you don't have to spend the earth and get the latest glass to get a good pair of bins.

I'm also looking at the vanguard endeavor 8.5 x 45. Mainly as this seems a good compromise between size/weight and low light performance (large optical lens). Thoughts on these very welcome.

If I can't find them within my budget I'll happily get the Barr and Stroud savannahs as they seem cracking value and I like the look of them.

Thanks again

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by JC43 View Post
    Ive just bought a pair of Barr & Stroud 10x42 Sahara bino's,67.00 , wanted a pair of cheapo's for the truck as they tend to get knocked about a bit , first time out with them yesterday , very clear and sharp image, low light not bad but i didn't try them in really low light as i moved to the thermal , was rabbiting ,They come with a limited ten year warranty , whatever that's worth, if they last me 3-4 years for the price I wont complain.
    spot on jc ,ive a par of sahara 8x32 for wildfowling (had them about 3 years so far in salt and mud and the truck)and cant fault them and a friend bought a pair of 8x ? in them and uses them regularly for stalking and for the money they are excellent there not leics or swarofski but then neither is the costs

SD Regular
    What's in a name? I can, just, remember Barr & Stroud as a BRITISH company making binoculars here in UK. Now whilst that is no guarantee of past quality I would ask is this "current" Barr & Stroud making binoculars here in the UK or are these imports re-badged?

Nothing wrong with imports...Zeiss and Swaro and Leitz etc., etc., are imports but are these German optics, Hungarian, Japanese or what? I'd be interested to know as for the price they'd surely be hard put to make them here in UK at that cost or Europe or Japan.

So Chinese? In which case a generic Chinese binocular without the affectation of a British name might be better value?

In the second world war Barr& Stroud supplied the British navy with optics, is what I read about them.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    i have a set i got on here 8x42 and they where tested last week along side sonme zeiss 8x42, and they came in just about on a par,

that was with 3 persons trying them

well chuffed for what i paid for them on here.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    i have a set i got on here 8x42 and they where tested last week along side sonme zeiss 8x42, and they came in just about on a par,

that was with 3 persons trying them

well chuffed for what i paid for them on here.

bob.
    Sorry Bob, have you got the B&S or vanguard endeavor?

Tom