Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 mag marlin & N320

44 mag marlin & N320

Anyone have any load data for N320 & cast lead bullets, I'm new to reloading pistol calibre rounds so any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers.

VihtaVuori don't list any loads for cast bullets and that powder and as you are new to reloading I would suggest that it might be better to stick rigidly to published data from recognised sources. For myself if I already had the powder I might be tempted to consult the relative burning rate charts and carefully develop a load based on that information, but really you would be much wiser to use a powder for which you have proper data supplied by the powder company and not just accept some recommendation from an unknown source on the internet.
    http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloadi...n-magnum-.html
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I just had a look at my Lyman No. 44 manual which gives a load of 4,0 to 6,5gr of Bullseye with a 232gr cast boolit. Considering that Viht 320 is a tad slower than Bullseye you could start with a starting load of 4,5gr of 320 with that weight of boolit.
    Entirely at your own risk of course but I would consider that it is a low load.
    To be honest I would prefer to use Viht 340 as a powder for the 44 Mag.

I too consulted a Lyman manual but a rather earlier edition than yours dodgyrog, and like you compared it to Bullseye. I formed an opinion of what load range I would try myself but would be very reluctant to suggest to anyone else to try it. Like you say N340 would be a better choice or for that matter Bullseye itself.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I too consulted a Lyman manual but a rather earlier edition than yours dodgyrog, and like you compared it to Bullseye. I formed an opinion of what load range I would try myself but would be very reluctant to suggest to anyone else to try it. Like you say N340 would be a better choice or for that matter Bullseye itself.
    My earlier Lyman manual
    No 38 didn't quote the 44 Mag as it predated Elmer Keith inventing it!!!

Mine's not quite that old but I have to admit to it being one of my favourite sources of reference even if a bit dog eared now. The oldest reloading manual I have is a Herters, probably from the late fifties or early sixties.

N320 is very fast for the 44 mag. The pressures could rise very quickly. Perhaps a slower powder might be safer

Thanks for the info, I'm in two minds now weather to open this tub of N320 or get something more suited.

Change it for Alliant 2400 - and then use Elmer Keith's load behind his own designed boolit.
    I use 22gr 2400 behind a Keith designed Lyman boolit (Brinel hardness at around 15 - same as Lyman No. 2 alloy) - hits the bull every time at 200 yards and probably further from my Marlin Cowboy.
    As stated above entirely at your own risk!!!

If it's for indoor 25m then 4.6 to 5.4 of TiteGroup works extremely well with 200 - 240gr cast boolits or 8gr of Unique is a well proven load.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy