Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P14 actioned rifles

P14 actioned rifles

I'm looking to converted a messed up p14 action into a sporting rifle, I'm looking for some inspiration on action shapes as the rear ears are removed and stock shapes.

So which companies did it and what models I know about BSA model B - E Remington model 30
    who else did it and has anyone any photos.

I have a US Enfield Model of 1917 converted to a match rifle in 1958 and then to a sporting rifle in 2012. The bolt handle was reshaped, it was reduced to 5 rounds, the action converted to up-cock and a match stock and Canjar trigger fitted. The rear sight wings were removed and the rear receiver machined to match the curvature of the front. Originally diopter sight mounts for a Mauser were used, but the Warne bases now fitted are for the Sauer 200 and 90 models.

This was a California custom job in 1958, when this sort of conversion was common. The cost of the job today would be prohibitive, especially when the ready-converted rifles are so cheap. For example, take a look at : http://www.gavingardiner.com/BidCat/...0020&LotRef=72 A lovely 303 that sold for 50..!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1917-417.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	46793 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1917-418.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	46794

Thanks I may be able to get hold of a target stock this barrelled action currently has a hammer forged target barrel and PH sights, but the ears are still there but the tigger is good.

I'm not looking to do this to make money this is a project for me and keep an old rifle shooting. I'm tempted to go the whole hog so won't remove the belly keeping the standard mag box and go to something like 375 Ruger.

Boyd's makes drop in sporter stocks for the M 17 / p14 in walnut and laminate . I've used them on two Enfields and they came up really well . Ellwood Epps , an Ontario gunsmith used to build a lot of rifles on Enfield actions . Try Google under Ellwood Epps conversions , he also rechambered them in 303 Epps which was quite a potent round in it's day . I still run into them every now and then . Another gunsmith , George Hoenig , built some amazing rifles on Enfield actions . They were / are some of the nicest conversions I've ever seen . Muir would probably know of him , if I remember correctly he operated out of Montana or Washington . He used the Enfield to build big bore stopping rifles ,and to be honest the Enfield is a perfect action to use . The P-14 bolt face is just right for any belted mag case as is and you can use the M-17 mag box for the larger capacity cases . I've done it myself a few times and it worked very well ( the feed rails will need a little grinding , but nothing to difficult . ) I have A LOT of P-14 / M-17 parts so if you need anything drop me a line and I'll send them over . The one weak spot in the design is the ejector spring / blade , it is a long and somewhat fragile leaf spring and they do break from time to time . I have a few that I converted to use a coil spring , very simple , I can send you one if you like . I had an issue one let go on me while hunting years ago so I've always changed them out just to be on the safe side . As I said , if I can help you out with your build , don't hesitate to ask . I'm an Enfield junkie too , it's the least I can do ,

Steve

I have made up a bunch of P-14 rifles. At one time retired "Drill Purpose" rifles were selling for $29 each and they simply had a hole drilled through the chamber and a rod welded into place. I bought a dozen of them and pulled the barrels. My chamberings were 25 Krag, 25Krag Improved and 444 Marlin. I have one left, I think, and I would rebarrel that to 30-40 Krag Jorgensen if given the opportunity: a wonderfully accurate 30 caliber. I also have a Winchester-made P-14 in 303 that I'm waiting to work on. I have a Winchester M-17 in 30-06IMP that is set up as a target rifle. Excellent shooter.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I have made up a bunch of P-14 rifles. At one time retired "Drill Purpose" rifles were selling for $29 each and they simply had a hole drilled through the chamber and a rod welded into place. I bought a dozen of them and pulled the barrels. My chamberings were 25 Krag, 25Krag Improved and 444 Marlin. I have one left, I think, and I would rebarrel that to 30-40 Krag Jorgensen if given the opportunity: a wonderfully accurate 30 caliber. I also have a Winchester-made P-14 in 303 that I'm waiting to work on. I have a Winchester M-17 in 30-06IMP that is set up as a target rifle. Excellent shooter.~Muir
    It's a small world my friend , I built a 338 WM on one of those DP P-14's . I had to make a relief cut at the barrel shoulder to get the barrel off just like Roy Dunlap said you should , they are really tight .

Did you ever hear of George Hoenig up your way ? I met him once years ago , an old German Smith and a real hard ass , but an amazing gunsmith . He was old back then , I doubt he's even alive by now .

How difficult was it to set one up in 444 and did you switch out the mag box to an M-17 ? I ask because I've always thought that would a great " big stuff " rifle . Did you have much trouble getting it to feed round nose bullets ? I've run into that problem a time or two with Enfields .

AB

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
    I'm looking to converted a messed up p14 action into a sporting rifle, I'm looking for some inspiration on action shapes as the rear ears are removed and stock shapes.

So which companies did it and what models I know about BSA model B - E Remington model 30
    who else did it and has anyone any photos.
    I'm in the middle of moving so most of my things are in boxes . When I get settled I will dig out some old Guns & ammo magazines that feature P-14 / M-17 custom rifles and send them over if you like . Some of the articles are quite in depth and are very informative reading . Drop me a PM if your interested .

AB

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    It's a small world my friend , I built a 338 WM on one of those DP P-14's . I had to make a relief cut at the barrel shoulder to get the barrel off just like Roy Dunlap said you should , they are really tight .

Did you ever hear of George Hoenig up your way ? I met him once years ago , an old German Smith and a real hard ass , but an amazing gunsmith . He was old back then , I doubt he's even alive by now .

How difficult was it to set one up in 444 and did you switch out the mag box to an M-17 ? I ask because I've always thought that would a great " big stuff " rifle . Did you have much trouble getting it to feed round nose bullets ? I've run into that problem a time or two with Enfields .

AB
    Hard to come off? Ya think? I chucked them up in a lathe and made the relief cut. Not surprisingly, they almost came off by hand after that.

I never heard of George Hoenig but there were some really good gunsmiths that left the range over the last 30 years. I'm sure he was one of them and is in good company.

The 444 wasn't too much grief. The bolt face was right. The magazine box took some blacksmithing to widen the front end and then the feed ramps needed opening ala Siamese Mauser conversions. The original box would feed the first round but then the second would spring out. By widening it I got a better angle on the reformed feed ramp(s). Like much of that work it was a lot of trial and error. I was looking in my tools the other day and found the P-14/M17 trigger guard /floor plate welding jig that I'd build. Brought back some memories.

Those were good times. I knew a lot of good old time gunsmiths and learned a lot growing up. All the old Mausers and such on the surplus market... a guy could make a living at it. I got in at the end of it all. Now, much of what gunsmiths used to specialize in can be had over the counter, and 'gunsmiths' are just part changers. It's a little sad and why, after training for it since I as a kid, I left it for a different career.~Muir

Guy thank you any advice is always welcome. AB PM on route thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Hard to come off? Ya think? I chucked them up in a lathe and made the relief cut. Not surprisingly, they almost came off by hand after that.

I never heard of George Hoenig but there were some really good gunsmiths that left the range over the last 30 years. I'm sure he was one of them and is in good company.

The 444 wasn't too much grief. The bolt face was right. The magazine box took some blacksmithing to widen the front end and then the feed ramps needed opening ala Siamese Mauser conversions. The original box would feed the first round but then the second would spring out. By widening it I got a better angle on the reformed feed ramp(s). Like much of that work it was a lot of trial and error. I was looking in my tools the other day and found the P-14/M17 trigger guard /floor plate welding jig that I'd build. Brought back some memories.

Those were good times. I knew a lot of good old time gunsmiths and learned a lot growing up. All the old Mausers and such on the surplus market... a guy could make a living at it. I got in at the end of it all. Now, much of what gunsmiths used to specialize in can be had over the counter, and 'gunsmiths' are just part changers. It's a little sad and why, after training for it since I as a kid, I left it for a different career.~Muir
    I know how you feel , I still remember learning how to weld up the P-14 floorplates to get rid of the front step . The gunsmith I apprenticed under gave me an edition of Roy F Dunlaps - Gunsmithing . I still have it and read it , it's one of my favorite books .It has a chapter devoted to working on 14/17's . It's a bit dated but what was true then is still true now , anyone with an interest in firearms should try and find an edition , it's full of great stuff . I have the feeling you already have an edition Muir lol

AB