P14 actioned rifles

Slightly off topic, but a question for our US friends. Is A-Square no longer in business? They were making rifles on P17 actions.

I remember those rifles , I didn't realize they went out of business . I saw a few at gun shows in the past , but they were never common . I particularly remember seeing one of the P-14/ 17 based rifles , I think it was called the Hannibal ? It was a big rifle and was chambered in something very large and serious , I did pick it up and look it over , but the price tag had too many zeros in it for my budget so I politely handed it back lol . It was a nicely put together piece of kit though .

AB

Thanks. It was after reading this topic, that I google-d : A-Square and nothing showed. This made me think that they didn't exist anymore.

The Hannibal was indeed one of theirmodels. Strong heavy rifles for Africa.

I read that the Danish Navy Unit ( Slaedepatrujien Sirius ) that patrols the Arctic in Greenland still use the 1917 Enfield as their issue Rifle. It would seem its robustness coupled with a serious cartridge suits the job well.
Now I admit I got this from browsing Wikipedia so I await being shot down by forum members :D.

Yorkie.

Thanks. It was after reading this topic, that I google-d : A-Square and nothing showed. This made me think that they didn't exist anymore.

The Hannibal was indeed one of theirmodels. Strong heavy rifles for Africa.

I talked to a fellow yesterday that thinks all their gun-making equipment was sold off to The Sharps Rifle Company in Montana and other assets sent elsewhere.~Muir

There's a long sad story with A-Square, but yes, they aren't around, though perhaps the Sharps Rifle Company will use the name again. Art Alphin is or was facing some legal challenges regarding development funds not really being used for development, and he's no kid. I have one of their rifles in .416 Rem Mag (my father picked it up for some reason - no need to show cause here which is convenient...) and while the stock may well be good for dealing with recoil it's built like a boat oar. I'd pass on one unless you get it in one of the African big five rounds, and don't mind a Cro-Magnon stock.

There's a long sad story with A-Square, but yes, they aren't around, though perhaps the Sharps Rifle Company will use the name again. Art Alphin is or was facing some legal challenges regarding development funds not really being used for development, and he's no kid. I have one of their rifles in .416 Rem Mag (my father picked it up for some reason - no need to show cause here which is convenient...) and while the stock may well be good for dealing with recoil it's built like a boat oar. I'd pass on one unless you get it in one of the African big five rounds, and don't mind a Cro-Magnon stock.

I'd still love to see photos especially of the rear bridge and any scope bases.

Back