Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Howa replacement trigger

Howa replacement trigger

Interested to hear from other HOWA users their experience with replacement triggers.

would like to hear which is the best trigger on the market and what price range the after market triggers go for?.

thanks in advance.

I had the older style Howa factory trigger and i decided to replace it with a Timney, a bit sceptical at first about its performance but now i'm using the gun more down the range i have been very happy with its performance, crisp and clean pull, just wish i could get it a little lighter...
    Remington 700 VLS .223rem, ASE Utra SL5, Timney Calvin Elite Trigger
    Sako 75 Stainless Synthetic .308win, Wildcat Mod.
    Howa M-1500 .243win Wildcat Mod, Timney Trigger, Bell and Carlson Stock
    6.5x47Lapua, Valkyrie Valhalla.
    Ruger 10/22 Stainless .22lr, Sako Mod, Hogue Stock

Thanks,

I have looked at 2 triggers the Timney and Basix, but unsure of the advantages disadvantages of each!.

anyone had any experience of either.

Tam
    I had a Timney fitted in a Ruger 77 Mk1V ----- Very very good trigger. BUT Wood had to be removed from the stock to make room for it & the cost of new Timneys is about the same as getting someone who really knows trigger tuning/fettling to sort out the factory one --- Saying that I cannot comment on the suitability of your factory trigger as a good starting point.

Have fun! Ian

Yorric

thanks for the heads up on the extra work involved, I shall certainly keep that in mind.

looking for an easy fix tbh and one that's not going to cause extra work.

I looked into this a few years ago when I bought a new new Howa. At that time the replacement triggers only had 2 position safeties. I like the standard three way safety, so I didn't go ahead. I don't know whether the current versions are different.

It turns out the standard trigger quickly smoothed up, and was easy to adjust a little lighter. There is still some tiny creep, but I daresay that could be fixed with some stoneing.

I spoke with Mike Norris last year and his advice was to keep the standard trigger, if necessary he can work on them.

This is the old style trigger.

The new version seems quite acceptable, based on ones I have tried in a shop. But Mike advised that it was less amenable to further tuning. Perhaps a replacement would be the best approach if you have one of these.

I have the rifle basix varmint trigger 12oz to 11/2lb come factory set at 1lb and is stunning no creap and breaks like glass I worked on the factory trigger and got it to 11/2lb but still went for the aftermarket one and glad I did

Sharpie

thanks for the links.

pretty frightening to hear the reviews on the safety catches not working on some!.

i think I would be interested in the basix 3 way safety, but will continue to investigate.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by fibrewad View Post
    I have the rifle basix varmint trigger 12oz to 11/2lb come factory set at 1lb and is stunning no creap and breaks like glass I worked on the factory trigger and got it to 11/2lb but still went for the aftermarket one and glad I did
    Did this trigger come with the 2 or 3 position safety catch?.

im interested in this it sounds what I'm looking for.

thanks