Thread: Teckel size?

Teckel size?

What size teckels do most of you guys work/breed?. Do most value the larger "standard" size or the smaller"miniature"?.

Hey up sportingspaniels mine stand about 9.5 inch to the shoulder and weigh about 16/18 lb think they are ideal size I have seen some really big ones but everyone has different ideas and uses for them.

Attachment 46801Attachment 46802

Mines 7months now,and I'm not quite sure how much bigger hes going to get,but he's filled out nicely,he's got a nice shape and posture,his size hasn't hindered him so far in any way.
    Deceptively quick little feker, cant wait to take him with me to Scotland.
    in all honesty,I'e never seen a miniature in the flesh,only standards sizes,I think there's a miniature in him somewhere down the line.

Mine is a mini 11 l/b ish. does struggle a bit with some terrain but being slowed up a bit can be a good thing. very convenient size for house,van and high seat. Tries to retrieve fallow but struggles ! but so would a standard. Surprisingly nippy and shows a tendency to go to ground but I have been able to discourage this tendency to a large extent with out any need for violence. They seem both determined and quite sensitive.
    You might want to look at the waldmeister kennel site, good workers.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenedwards View Post
    Mine is a mini 11 l/b ish. does struggle a bit with some terrain but being slowed up a bit can be a good thing. very convenient size for house,van and high seat. Tries to retrieve fallow but struggles ! but so would a standard. Surprisingly nippy and shows a tendency to go to ground but I have been able to discourage this tendency to a large extent with out any need for violence. They seem both determined and quite sensitive.
    You might want to look at the waldmeister kennel site, good workers.
    thats were I've seen the miniature,lively helpful couple.
    I've just weighed mine and he's bang on 8kg @ 7 months

Welcome to dacshund/teckels etc... very addictive. I have two, both miniture short hair, as I'm asthmatic.
    Eldest, approaching three. Weighs 3.8 kilo fully grown. About 16 inch long, 7/8 inch high. (size isnt evertyhing) exceptionally good. Beleive me, these little things can travel beyond ones exspectations. Doesn't need a harness to track stil work to do tracking but it's a never ending regime. She's capable of trackers up to 4 hours old. If I had a better knowledge shed be better I'm sure. My newbie Elma, enjoying, capes and hoofs. Within two weeks she'll be on tracks. She is already as I have noticed a better nose than cookie.
    These are and can be a very stubborn dog, as all hounds can be, patients is a must, don't take things to heart, don't treat as such a working hound they need tlc etc...I have found with mine they act upon better when they see certain aspects of what is required. I have different leads for walks and tracking and clothes. To the point they are starting to bark once the green clothing is shown, that's how Inquizitive they are. Don't underestimate them, very clever, very loving, very strong minded, they love a Alfa, which must be you if you require it to be a required tracking hound.
    Size isn't everything, training is. Everything depends on you and back-ground with experience. There is a very good book by John jeanneay (Apoligies if spelt wrong) very well worth a read)
    Last edited by weeman; 12-09-2014 at 20:54.

Is the wire coat very variable on them, like the gwp's?. Some of those have a really tight hard coat whilst others have a coat like a fleece.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by gelert View Post
    thats were I've seen the miniature,lively helpful couple.
    I've just weighed mine and he's bang on 8kg @ 7 months
    At 8kg yours is not a minature, it is a standard which I believe kicks in at 7kg.
    Dexter is 7.5kg and now 2yrs old. He runs rings around my boys when they race him in the garden. They are very good at dropping their shoulder one way and then in the blink of an eye going in the other.
    As has been said they are a bit sensitive but they are not thick, they just like you to think they are.
    Don't expect him to fill out properly until he's at least 14 months old.
    AND remember don't ever say he's small to his face.......he'll make you eat your words.

Attachment 46860
    Last edited by teyhan1; 13-09-2014 at 21:37.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

I have two. Shorthair 9kg and Wirehair 12kg. Shorthair is the most experienced deer hunter and I've spent the most time training.