opinions on barnaul fmj

nick-h

Hi guys
Im thinking of getting a 100 of these barnaul 55grn fmj for my 223 for a bit of targets are they any good because they are cheap and I couldnt reload them for the price that they are going for. just woundering if any of you guys know any thing about them.
Cheers guys

Hi guys
Im thinking of getting a 100 of these barnaul 55grn fmj for my 223 for a bit of targets are they any good because they are cheap and I couldnt reload them for the price that they are going for. just woundering if any of you guys know any thing about them.
Cheers guys
i bought some to try. In my ruger 77 m2 they grouped at about 4" at 100 yards. At the price the're worth a buy of 20 to try

in their original case they mostly go bang and are a bit rubbish grouping roughly within a dsc1 target, but take powder and bullet and put it in a nice shiny brass case checking the charge weights and at least they look good before they still group like a sneeze....

the bullets are a bit shocking compared to decent gear but if you want to plink it's the right price

using them against plates,up to 600 yrds or so, they shot very well from my AUG (62grns) and at £18.50x100 last time I bought them they were ideal for a 200+round day :D
on the range at 600 they hit the black, at 100m the group was about 2" which is more a product of the military trigger and my impatience :D

Last edited:
Where are you getting them from? Do they do a 308 load?

Yes indeed, £35/100 from HPS. I bought some today to use for the first few shots when zeroing a rifle with a new scope.

It costs me £94/100 to reload 308 with a decent bullet, so I thought I'd try some. I've heard good reports of the 223 so far. Obviously those who promote and sell the more expensive stuff will try to tell you that it will ruin your rifle, has corrosive primers (not true) etc.

No experience with Barnaul.

But GGG is decent stuff, boxer primed re-usable brass, copper jacket bullets. .223 and .308.

I paid £40/100 for .308, seems fair enough.

Cheers for the info, the bloke who sells them he wants 6 quid for a box of 20 so that's pretty cheap

Update on the Barnaul 308, I've tried 25 rounds of the 100 so far and haven't been too impressed. One didn't go off, despite a good indentation from the firing pin, the rest didn't produce what I would call acceptable groups. So, OK for sighting in, but I wouldn't use it for anything serious. I've seen some very good groups from the 223, and this is much cheaper than the 308.

Back