Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnum action

Magnum action

I'm looking at building a rifle soon but can't decide on what action to go for.. I want to build a 300 win mag.. I want my rifle action to be stiff but smooth like an AI action.. Not interested In a loose tikka/ sako type style action. What action would you guys recommend?

What's it for mate?
    The action you go for is (very much, to an extent) dictated by what you plan on using it for.

Bit of every thing really.. Target and hunting

Right well the overall build will be a compromise then. I'm presuming you have a weight, length etc in mind.
    I'd say a nice Mauser style action (parker-hale, CZ 550, ruger M77, Winchester Model 70) in the correct length would suit you lovely.
    I don't really get what you mean bout loose sako/tikka action. Very rarely a bad sako or tikka.

Also, without being to pedantic, it's stalking not hunting when it comes to deer or boar in the UK. I just like the traditional stuff s'all

I'm well aware of the terminology thank you.. And if you have cycled an AI action then go to a tikka/ sako you will understands what I mean. I won't a smooth action with very high tolerances. An sako action is good but I don't the the loose floppy feel of the bolt

Have you considered the 300 WSM instead ?

No worries slickshot, I didn't mean to call into question your expertise. I apologise it it came across that way.

Anyway, back to rifles. I couldn't agree more. The AI is a wonderful action but it's a little on the heavy side. Maybe a aftermarket action built around the rem 700 footprint would do? Plenty of aftermarket stuff to add for the upcoming build and the tolerances should be up there with AI although I admit it wouldn't be as Gucci feeling, closer though.

It's cool I will have to do my research.. May just buy a used remington 700 sendero and build of that! Regards to the wssm I'm not really interested as I want to push those 208 amax at 3000 fps and that's a bit heavy for the short mag

Hi Slickshot.
    What is your Budget? Devon Custom Rifles are not far from you and make their own Actions. You could perhaps pop down for a look? They will be made to much tighter tolerances than a Factory Action.
    Hope this helps .