Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Torque or not to Torque that is the question

To Torque or not to Torque that is the question

Hi I would like your views on action screws I have a second hand sako 75 varmint. And have done a lot of target shooting before I started to deer stalk. One of the things we were always told to do was torque the action screws down, and most if not all action screws on target rifles are hex head screws.
    Hex head screws mainly used because flat head screws just arenít up to the job.
    So my question Ďs are do you know where I can get hex head action screws for a 75 sako varmint of a good quality and matching the blueing. Has any one used them ,do any of you torque your actions down.
    Cheers

Whether Sako do replacement screws I don't know but you will not get blued unless you have a friendly local gunsmith but you can get black oxide coated hex heads but I've always replaced bolts with stainless hex heads & prefer them. Get them from Screw Fix, for instance M6x20 cost £9.49 for a pack of 50. OK you don't need 50 but £9.49 isn't exactly breaking the bank. The other option is to visit a local fixings centre, here in Oxfordshire we have Oxford Bolt & Bearing, the last time I wanted 4 stainless cap heads they gave them to me as it wasn't worth their time printing the paper work!

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

just answered part of my own question found this :https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/produc...Csid=fwquijrmd

any body know any where in the uk.

If you need to replace the factory fixings due to head damage, you are either over torqueing or using the wrong turnscrew, or maybe even both!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    If you need to replace the factory fixings due to head damage, you are either over torqueing or using the wrong turnscrew, or maybe even both!
    Hi finnbear lol you are Probably right on both accounts, however I havenít damaged the heads yet it was a pre-emtive thought to change them before I did . Regarding the second part of the question do any of the crowd use a torque wrench to set the torque on your actions screws. ?

Quote Originally Posted by patrol01 View Post
    Hi I would like your views on action screws I have a second hand sako 75 varmint. And have done a lot of target shooting before I started to deer stalk. One of the things we were always told to do was torque the action screws down, and most if not all action screws on target rifles are hex head screws.
    Hex head screws mainly used because flat head screws just aren’t up to the job.
    So my question ‘s are do you know where I can get hex head action screws for a 75 sako varmint of a good quality and matching the blueing. Has any one used them ,do any of you torque your actions down.
    Cheers
    Who told you that? I hate hex head screws and won't have them on any of my rifles. My 7x57 hasn't had the action screws touched in 30 years, at least, and they have managed to keep "up with the job". ~Muir

You can get the new Torx screws from GMK that are fitted to the 85 and newer T3s.

If you order them from your local gun shop tell them they are for and 85 as GMK try saying they are not the same as the 75 / Newer t3 but they are

Hex or Torx screws are far more suited to being talked down than slotted ones

I strip and clean my rifles at least yearly and buy talking the the screws down the are still zeroed when put back together

Hi Sako_243 thanks for the info presume you have a sako or tikka what newton meters / foot pounds do you set.

and in answer to Muir's question of who told me that it was Malcom Cooper.
    Supose in the end its all down to personal preferance thanks so far guys.

I've replaced the flat head screws on my Howa: not that they're unsuitable, just that they're easily damaged and harder to use. Luckily the Howa uses standard M6 bolts, so I bought 10 stainless button hex head ones from Ebay then cut them down to size.

I use a torque wrench, not really out of necessity, mainly because I can! Maybe if you shoot like Malcolm Cooper, it'll make a difference to you
    Last edited by Mat; 25-02-2010 at 15:13.

I know that the three hex screws that hold the barrel to the action on a Sauer 202 should be torqued to 7-8Nm. Ie much less than you think. PS a torque driver that is rated to 7Nm is hard to find.

Mark