Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What scope magnification do pro hill stalkers use ?

What scope magnification do pro hill stalkers use ?

Not the first scope question. What scope magnification do frequent hill stalkers use in order to get precise ( meat saving) shot placement at all practical hill ranges? Frequent = Professional deer stalkers, Professional deer cullers, local hobby stalkers who spent a lot of time on the hill. A scope that allows to see the diffrence between a low neck shot and a shoulder shot at hill ranges in winter after hinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    A scope that allows to see the diffrence between a low neck shot and a shoulder shot at hill ranges in winter after hinds.
    6x42

Ha! These young lads now look at my 6x42 as if it's only fit for an air rifle - but, of course it does fine. But if you don't have a smaroffski ****offski or a twice as nice Zeiss it doesn't count as a real scope. That's why I put a Leupold on the 308! F#%k them! Zillions of deer shot with 4 x 32 scopes!
    Two lads on big culls. One with and ancient 243 and a **** scope. One with a hand built rifle and a thing on top from the space race. Outcome? Just the same. They both respect what the other does and just get on with it. Get accustomed to your rifle and scope and get on.

I use a zeiss 4x32 and I have no issues with shots up to 250m whether roe or red, it's also nice and light. My other favourite scope is a zeiss 3-9x36.

I reckon the latter is the ultimate hill scope both in terms of quality, size/weight, aesthetics, as well as usefulness 'off' the hill as well. On a 30-06 it makes a serious 'do it all' gun worldwide.

Up to 10X power, important to keep an eye on the whole group once they start milling around

6x42 does the job perfect

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter1 View Post
    Ha! These young lads now look at my 6x42 as if it's only fit for an air rifle
    I have 6x42 on my airguns as well as on .308 and .270.
    Of course, I'm just a townie guest-stalker - very far from a pro - but I've been out with proper stalkers who also have 6x42 on.
    Mine are Schmidt and Bender, and I've never felt underscoped.

have shot with 4x32, 6x42/44, 8x50 and a one off shot with a 10x44

6-8x is plenty

3-12 with illumination or there about... or they're tight and looking for excuses not to spend the cash on a better scope

Guess many of the choices are age related. 8x56 was fine when I was younger but now need 12x as the eyes age a bit. higher mag will allow more precise shot placement unless you are a real 'expert' and follow the Croc Dundee method and think the shot into the perfect placement. Variable mag is useful. Seems to me a lot of tosh is written about the 'ideal' disguised as bitterness at the cost of something better.