Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuzen rifles in long action chamberings

Stuzen rifles in long action chamberings

I have a query regarding stuzen rifles......
    i often see them in long action chamberings (such as .270 etc), and wondered if there is any benefit to be gained performance wise over a SA chambering, as a stuzen rifle usually has a relatively short barrel?

Obviously the advantages in ballistics are obvious in a longer barrel.

I think it's exactly the same as choosing a short or long barrel for a given chambering, the length of the stock doesn't matter. I chose 7mm-08 for my stutzen amongst other reasons because it agrees with short barrels (20" in my case). You still see a noticeable flash at last light though!

A 7-08 would seem ideal for a stutzen, but would a .270 or 30-06 as a stutzen have a longer barrel or would they have a 20" as a stutzen? Forgive my ignorance.

as far as I can work out (on tinternet), steyr classic full stock rifles all have 20" even in la and magnum calibres?
    Last edited by palmer_mike; 15-09-2014 at 11:16.

Yes, they all come with 20" barrels, so it's just a question of how much muzzle flash and flip you enjoy! I didn't really see the point of having a lot of recoil and noise just for the sake of extra fireworks...

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    A 7-08 would seem ideal for a stutzen, but would a .270 or 30-06 as a stutzen have a longer barrel or would they have a 20" as a stutzen? Forgive my ignorance.

as far as I can work out (on tinternet), steyr classic full stock rifles all have 20" even in la and magnum calibres?

Typical barrel length for any chambering in a stutzen would be 20 to 24in. I have a .270 with a 20 in barrel. Not the optimal ballistic length but it's a stutzen and a compromise all round. Deer don't seem to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post

STUTZEN has two separate meanings in German - 'short' (abbreviated) and 'support' so waffen-wise the short full-stocked rifle has come to combine both features. I don't think you can have one without the other now?

Modern stutzens are anything from 16 - 20" in length .... doubt if a full 24" barrel is ever found in one.

I think you'll get a muzzle flash at night no matter what barrel length is used i.e. whether you use a short-action calibre in .243" - .308" with a medium-fast powder or a long-action .270 - 30-06 calibre with a slower powder.

There's bound to be a greater velocity loss with the latter, but a .270 stutzen won't ever be reduced enough to equate with a standard length .243, I'm sure.

The problem for me (even in the short-action calibres) is the blast rather than the pyrotechnics. Having been next to all calibres & sorts of 'stutzens' they are almost as painful as full-length barrels fitted with muzzle brakes ... but they do handle beautifully for their fans.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

It is not the short action, but the efficiency of the cartridge, that makes the difference.
    Cartridges with a higher ratio of bore volume to case volume, like the 7x57, 7mm-08, .308 Win, and 8x57, are going to lose less velocity per inch of barrel shortening than a cartridge like the .270 Win.

On the other hand, the .270, 7x64 and .30-06, after giving up even 200 fps, are still on par with the smaller cartridges above in a 24-inch barrel rifle. But you pay for it with muzzle blast.

You are buying the carbines for light weight and handling, not for super long shots. But many of them are quite accurate, so are capable of sure killing at 300 yards.

I have carbines in .270, 7x64, .308, 7mm-08, and have had .243 and .30-06 Mannlichers.
    An interesting thing is that some of them lose almost no velocity with some bullets.

Interesting, I was wondering if there would be no benefit using say 30-06 rather than .308 in a stutzen given the barrel length, but it sounds like the 06 would still beat the .308 for power in 20" barrels?

Mike, I think what you're really saying here is that you're hearing the siren call of the full-length stock. This makes you one of the chosen people. Join us.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Mike, I think what you're really saying here is that you're hearing the siren call of the full-length stock. This makes you one of the chosen people. Join us.
    Never say never! Lol.
    at the moment I'd not get away with an unmoderated rifle on my permissions tho.