Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open letter from an Englishman to all Scots

Open letter from an Englishman to all Scots

This was sent to me by an English friend and I believe a lot of people echo these feelings.

An open letter to the Scots.

Dear Friends,

There has been much argument about currency, defence, oil reserves, the NHS and the EU in the Great Debate.

I have nothing to say about such matters. I leave that to the experts on both sides of the argument.

What I do have to say, as a simple and unimportant Englishman, is this: If you decide to become independent then I wish you well. May you be prosperous and happy as a result. My affection, my best wishes and that of all my friends who agree with me (and they are many), goes with you, if that is the journey you decide to make.

And it is for you alone to decide. I would not presume to guide you but I can tell you how I would miss you.

For, as a friend of Scotland, privately, I hope, fervently, that you do not leave us. We shall miss you sorely if you do.

If you do go, it will be like a Hogmanay party where the most entertaining guest leaves and then suddenly the room quietens and all the other guests start drifting away.

You have given us all in the UK so much. Your explorers, your engineers, your scientists, your philosophers and economists, your doctors and your formidable fighting men have given your brains and your blood for our common good. If you do go, then we owe you a tremendous debt of gratitude for all that you have given us. I thank you warmly for all this.

But it will be a sad place here without you at our side.

I suspect that our Queen, who we know has a special place in her heart for Scotland, will be quite as sad as this common Englishman too.

So, if you go, you go with my blessing and good wishes but, just before you leave, turn at the door if you will, pause for a moment and understand just how much your many friends will miss you.

We ordinary Englishmen badly want you still at our side, with that special brand of Scottish courage, for all the challenges and all the battles that may still be to come in this uncertain world. You have our affection, our gratitude and our admiration for what you have achieved and what you have given us. You will be sorely missed if you go. We need people like you as our staunch friends and as fellow defenders of the United Kingdom.

Yours truly

Leofric Jones

Wow! Penned with a quill dipped in treacle?

K
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 16-09-2014 at 08:19.

Good to see something with no vitriol or snide.
    Nice letter.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I can hear the bagpipes a wailing in the background as it is read.
    A stag stops by the window of your cottage on the hill before trotting off down the Glen.
    Blah blah blah blah blah
    Oh my god I think I'm gonna be sick.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    I can hear the bagpipes a wailing in the background as it is read.
    A stag stops by the window of your cottage on the hill before trotting off down the Glen.
    Blah blah blah blah blah
    Oh my god I think I'm gonna be sick.
    totally agree, bring on the vote, I'm bored of hearing about it now.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    totally agree, bring on the vote, I'm bored of hearing about it now.
    +1

Most people I know are starting to get really p*****d off with hearing about how "oppressed" the Scottish are

Like most times there is media manipulation the damage will last a long time after the circus has left
    Last edited by PointBlank; 16-09-2014 at 06:53.

Sure that wasn't written by David Cameron? No grovelling in my name please.

I an an English man & love Scotland very much with the intention of retiring there in the next 10 years. I always hear how the Scots make the English unwelcome but I've never experienced this. Which ever way the vote goes - good luck - I just hope things don't change too much
    Wingy

We Scots love England so much many thousands live there courtesy of HMP?