Eating Town Pigeon and Crows

johnr0111

Hello all. I live on the edge of a small town near Inverness and have a rabbit-infested garden. I am thinking about buying a BSA Ultra SE to deal with them and also get a small but steady stream of meat. My mind then wandered to pigeons and even young crows. Are these edible? Is it hygienic to eat them? Any info gratefully received - regarding safety of eating and also choice of air rifle. I have a 22 rimfire but also neighbors and live in the town (more or less) so assume it would not be a good idea to fire it or any other rimfire. Cheers, JR

Hello all. I live on the edge of a small town near Inverness and have a rabbit-infested garden. I am thinking about buying a BSA Ultra SE to deal with them and also get a small but steady stream of meat. My mind then wandered to pigeons and even young crows. Are these edible? Is it hygienic to eat them? Any info gratefully received - regarding safety of eating and also choice of air rifle. I have a 22 rimfire but also neighbors and live in the town (more or less) so assume it would not be a good idea to fire it or any other rimfire. Cheers, JR

Well they are edible, and some of the English eat young rooks, as for town doos , well what can I say you could eat them.

But the real question is , are you so desperate that you are reduced to eating crows and feral pigeons?

I live comfortably inside suburbia, and quite often take pigeons off the bird table (all woodies - no feral pigeons), with a cheap and cheerful air rifle.

All delicious, and no ill effects. Depending on season, they are usually either full of bird table standards (peanuts very common), or grain from near(ish) fields. Well worth it for a tasty little starter if you're having a dinner party!

Having eaten rook once, I'd say it wasn't worth the effort.

Not sure of the legislation in Scotland but in England there are conditions attached to the general licence that allows shooting of pigeon and corvids.

you might want to check if these apply (especially if your garden is overlooked).

brilliant - lots of info and well happy
absoloutely great forum here and what a wealth of knowledge. Maybe SNH should include membership in thier Deerstalking Pack (or give membership in stead of....)
many thanks for all contributions
jr

Despite actually having eaten lots of unusual & at times distinctly unpleasant things (especially in the far east and china) i have to say I draw the line Feral pigeons and rats from the suburbs..with regards to Pigeons & Branchers their country cousins are fine, rats...unless on a deserted island or surstroming is the only other food (again) they are a no no.

The fact I am refusing to eat something that has fed off what man leaves behind, does not speak so well of the food we buy, or what we are sold and whats in it....just a thought..bon appetite:)

No problem at all with rabbits and town woodies are very fat as so well fed and no issue with eating them.

However best to take note of the prosecution of a man who shot a wood pigeon in his garden, they are under general licence and the onus is on you to prove they are doing damage, so if they are eating all your veg in the garden then fine but if its sitting in a tree or walking on the lawn they you could be on a sticky wicket if you were reported.

Must say I have shot thousands of pigeon but I an quite attached to the ones in my back garden.

D

There's a world of difference between a trur feral pigeon (Columba livia) and a woodpigeon (Columba palumbas) that stops on your bitd table between raiding fields.

Why, thank you Mungo. That's very.......helpful. I did not know that.:doh:

Last edited:
Ferals and young crows I usually breast out and boil the meat for the dog, the remainder is either for friends' ferrets, the magpies in the Larsens or as bait for the local foxes.
Just trying not to waste anything

Back