Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bleeding

Bleeding

I read the numerous posts on bleeding with interest. Probably like many stalkers i have bled numerous deer with a knife above the sternum and had never really paid too much attention to the amount of blood that came out on the deck. That was until i acquired a HWV and got into tracking and blood trails. Armed with my newly acquired plastic concertina drinking bottle (takes up less space in pocket) which holds 500ml (3/4 pint) when extended i shot a yearling Roe buck in the neck hung it in a tree got the bottle ready and stuck the knife in thinking it might fill half way. Whoosh...! the blood poured out in a torrent and kept going and going until i was frantically looking out for something else i could catch it in. Sure enough the bottle overflowed and i was left cursing at the wasted blood pouring over my hand. Probably about a pint came out.
    I take two bottles now !!
    That amount of blood has got to be better out than in and it was only a small buck.

Obviously there is little bleeding on an deer shot in the neck, opposite to one shot in the hart/lungs area... i shot a fallow in the lungs couple of weeks ago and it was masively bleeding through the mouth, and not much was left in the rib cage...

Quote Originally Posted by venery View Post
    I read the numerous posts on bleeding with interest. Probably like many stalkers i have bled numerous deer with a knife above the sternum and had never really paid too much attention to the amount of blood that came out on the deck. That was until i acquired a HWV and got into tracking and blood trails. Armed with my newly acquired plastic concertina drinking bottle (takes up less space in pocket) which holds 500ml (3/4 pint) when extended i shot a yearling Roe buck in the neck hung it in a tree got the bottle ready and stuck the knife in thinking it might fill half way. Whoosh...! the blood poured out in a torrent and kept going and going until i was frantically looking out for something else i could catch it in. Sure enough the bottle overflowed and i was left cursing at the wasted blood pouring over my hand. Probably about a pint came out.
    I take two bottles now !!
    That amount of blood has got to be better out than in and it was only a small buck.

Try not to use Roe blood for tracks, much better to get hold of Fallow or Red if you can. Shouldn't have a problem with this down this way.

Deer tend not to bleed out when shot in neck. Has apposed to being shot in the chest I found that out.cheers ianian

Quote Originally Posted by Discopete View Post
    Try not to use Roe blood for tracks, much better to get hold of Fallow or Red if you can.
    What is the problem with using Roe blood?

Nothing wrong with using Roe blood if that's all you have but it is recommended to use blood from one of the herding species as it gives off a much more potent smell for your dog.

Surely, if all you are able to shoot is roe and dog is required to follow the blood trail from shot roe then training it on the blood it is expected to follow must be an advantage i would have thought. Might be a bit confused if trained on imported strong scented red deer blood and then expected to follow roe blood in follow-ups or am i missing something on tracking theory .

Quote Originally Posted by venery View Post
    Surely, if all you are able to shoot is roe and dog is required to follow the blood trail from shot roe then training it on the blood it is expected to follow must be an advantage i would have thought. Might be a bit confused if trained on imported strong scented red deer blood and then expected to follow roe blood in follow-ups or am i missing something on tracking theory .
    I would second this. Too much myth and mystery is put upon tracking.

"I would second this. Too much myth and mystery is put upon tracking. "

Oh now you`ve been and gone and done it!!!